Bob and Angie of Dallas TX arrived at the confluence of the Blackfoot River and the North Fork of the Blackfoot not long before I did this morning. Being a friendly sort, Bob struck up a conversation about the time door of my truck closed. Over the next five hours, we talked, fished together, fished apart, ate and drank together, and tied a fly.

The fly ?? The Bob's Blackfoot Beast also known as the Furled Yarn Improvisation.

Bob is a novice fly tier, and was interested in my FEB Hopper. We rumaged through his fly tying kit which contained a vice and all the necessary tools, but no antron yarn, no foam, no deer hair, and only large round black rubber legs. BUT it did contain a synthethic yarn in two beige tones and an off white, a patch of very short elk hair, and red 8/0 tying thread.

Furled up a piece of the darker yarn and tied it in. Tied in the rear legs. Tied in the largest size and lightest color piece of yarn. Tied in the middle legs. Wrapped the thread forward, tied down the furled yarn tags. Tied in the front legs. Wrapped the light colored yarn forward dubbing style to behind the front legs and tied it in. Added a short wing, and I do mean short, and sparse, with the elk hair, which was too short to stack except by hand. Formed a bullethead with the light colored yarn, tied it in and trimmed it.

Named the fly for Bob. For the Blackfoot River and the black feet ( imaginary ) at the ends of those large round rubber legs. For the Beast it is, and when you see the pics, you'll appreciate that name.

Also known as the Furled Yarn Improvisation.

Tied it to a 4X leader at the end of the floating line on Bob's TFO 7'6" for 4 wt. Waded out to some fishy looking water. Threw the fly out. It floats. Threw the fly out again, and again. It floats, and takes a hit. A few more casts and a couple more hits. Another cast - FISH ON. A 7" cutthroat ate it. One time may be an accident. A few more casts. FISH ON. A 10" cutthroat in hand.

Handed the rod to Bob. Within minutes, he landed a 12" rainbow. Over the next couple hours, he landed several more fish on the fly named for him.

There are great days, and there are GREAT DAYS. Guess which one this was.

John

P.S. I think we will have a new BB member soon. I think Bob and Angie want to see Bob's picture with his rainbow when I post it next week.