+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Going to the Ozarks!

Hybrid View

Default Going to the Ozarks!

Well, kind folks, the reservations are made, the date selected and the vacation scheduled.
    My girl and I are heading for the Ozarks in October! No particular reason for posting this other than IT'S ALL I CAN FREAKIN' THINK ABOUT!!!
    We've got a cabin on the Norfork, not far below the dam...I plan on hitting that, the White, Crooked Creek and the Buffalo. At minimum.
    Some of you will remember that this Lousyana boy fished Montana back in 2005. Since then, I've only been after trout once, that in Smoky Mountain National Park last fall, with very, very little success. About 4-inches "little" if I recall the little guy correctly .
    Suzie recently took delivery of a 9' 6-wt from Cabelas and is learning to use it, with my humble and somewhat skewed help. I've learned a lot about fly casting since Montana, where the wind really kicked my butt senseless. I'm by no means "great" at it, but way better than I was then.
    Just sayin',
    Best regards from the Rez,
    R
    "And look at Elias Wonder. Yeah, take a gander at that buzzard. Forty years ago he was happy, generous, charitable, tall, dark and handsome. Then he took up the fly rod. Now consider him. Uglier than fresh road kill. Evil-eyed, cantankerous, sullen, mean. An anti-social misfit that causes a groundswell of spleen wherever he goes."
    -- Harry Middleton

Default Ozarks... You'll have a ball!

Roger,

You'll have a ball, but for even more fun take a kid under the age of 16 (even if ya' gatta' take a niece or nephew or even the kid of a good friend) and spend a good deal of your time on Dry Run Creek.

You didn't say when in October, but the first weekend of the month is the FFF Southern Council Conclave, a very large gathering of fly fishers with some great programs. Check it out if you're going to be there then - and be aware that if it is that weekend, you'll be competing with about 250 fishermen for space on the rivers!

TxEngr

Blog Entries

Roger,
    October is a good time to fish there. The big browns should be making there spawning run by then. Be sure and take some Zebra Midges with you!
    Steve
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

Yeah, I'd rather not say on a public forum exactly when I'll be away from home, you understand.
    We'll be there from Saturday to Saturday, though, so hopefully weekday fishing will be less crowded. I've collected great info from friends in Arkansas about the area, understanding generation schedules, good spots, etc. I appreciate the input here, too!
    Don't have a kid or a kidnappable one that age, either. Mine are 17 and 21 now.
    Though the trout fishing is high on my list, I'm particularly most pumped about the possibility of smallmouth, something I've never caught. Needless to say, it'll be a busy week!
    Just as when we were in the Smokies, staying in Pigeon Forge, and we never laid eyes on Dollywood...people keep asking if we'll hit Branson. As IF!
    R
    "And look at Elias Wonder. Yeah, take a gander at that buzzard. Forty years ago he was happy, generous, charitable, tall, dark and handsome. Then he took up the fly rod. Now consider him. Uglier than fresh road kill. Evil-eyed, cantankerous, sullen, mean. An anti-social misfit that causes a groundswell of spleen wherever he goes."
    -- Harry Middleton

IF you happen to trip a little bit north ... like to Kansas City! ... there's a whole lotta people here that would be tickled to pieces!! Bet we could even get a bunch together for some good ole KC BBQ!!!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Stouff View Post
    Yeah, I'd rather not say on a public forum exactly when I'll be away from home, you understand.
    We'll be there from Saturday to Saturday, though, so hopefully weekday fishing will be less crowded. I've collected great info from friends in Arkansas about the area, understanding generation schedules, good spots, etc. I appreciate the input here, too!
    Don't have a kid or a kidnappable one that age, either. Mine are 17 and 21 now.
    Though the trout fishing is high on my list, I'm particularly most pumped about the possibility of smallmouth, something I've never caught. Needless to say, it'll be a busy week!
    Just as when we were in the Smokies, staying in Pigeon Forge, and we never laid eyes on Dollywood...people keep asking if we'll hit Branson. As IF!
    R
    I can Identify with that. When we go to Branson we only get into town to eat. We stay on the river the rest of the time.
    Steve
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

Norfork eh.
    Might see ya there!
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Dang, looks like we'll be in EXCELLENT company!
    -- Harry Middleton

+ Reply to Thread