Hiya Tim ....I just about finished restoring a 1976 model 1wt eagle claw fly rod.
I got all the old varnish off and also all the "age spots" it had on it this way...
first I carefully removed allthe wraps and guides using a single edge razor. Then I used 000000 grade steel wool and mineral spirits for a gentle rubdown. All the residue of varnish and spots came off in a few minutes, and the 'glas gelcoat is shiny and untouched.
I used Boraxo hand soap and gently scrubbed the cork to it's original look, including the brass Eagle Claw logo plate attached to the rod grip. It's gonna be a very nice looking rod when I'm done. I even used matching thread colors to the original blue and gold. The rod is Eagle Claw's famous yellow fiberglas. Good luck with yer rod, You'll like it when yer done.......... By the way, I'm goin out this afternoon to the pond you mentioned awhile back out by the white city racetrack. I hear tell there's some crappie in there waitin for me...................................Dan