BBW,
First off and most importantly, I'm no doctor. Simply gonna relay a personal experience for what it's worth. I'm just few months from your age. Read a book year ago b/c I felt many of things you do. Had been feeling this way for long time and knew something just wasn't right. Main feeling was disappointment that I was becoming someone I didn't like too much. I seemed irritable all the time and difficult to get along with but there were lots of other emotions as well. The book is "The Irritable Male Syndrome". Am sorry I can't remember the author's name. Wife says it's made me a new person and I certainly feel much better. Book essentially talks about a real or perceived "male menopause". (I produce less testosterone but my brain still wants to be the big hunter/gatherer. Hence, there's an internal struggle of not accepting the change, which can manifest itself in ways that are hard to understand or accept.) There's much more to it than the hormone issue and why the book is worth a read. Voodoo? I don't know but the book simply gave a perspective and some explanations (and remedies) that made sense to me. Just please don't ignore how you feel, BBW, or think you can work your self out of it. Am convinced it digs the hole deeper. Find what works for you my friend!
Grassman