+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Waterproof dig camera with good macro?

Hybrid View

Default Waterproof dig camera with good macro?

Hi, folks. My camera is starting to act up and I guess I'm going to have to get a new one soon. I'm currently using a Pentax Optio WP because it's waterproof and I'm a klutz. It's fine for canoeing, camping, and fishing photos. Or fine enough for a point and shoot. As far as its waterproof capability, that's been a very good thing. What I don't like about it is the macro. It's had a terrible time focusing on flies, even on a tripod with a timer setting. I finally gave up using it for photographing flies. Well, now that I need a new digital camera, I want one that's waterproof AND much better at macro focusing of flies. If any of you have a suggestion, I'd love to hear it. I'd especially love to hear from anyone who has also used the Optio WP so that you have a comparison. I'm wondering whether the Olympus 1050SW might be a good choice. Any examples of fly macros out there?

Thanks for any wisdom.

Diane

Diane,

You want real fly macros or tied flies?

Marty

Default Olympus 1050WS

Hi Diane: I am very satisfied with my 1050SW. I just came back from Yellowstone and got some great photos, well at least I think they're great. AS soon as I figure out how I'm going to post a few. My only disappointment with the camera is the macro setting. There are 2 or 3 macro settings and I can't get them to work correctly for me. It may be that I don't know how to properly use the setting. I had a Nikon CoolPix and had no trouble using the macro, but the camera wasn't waterproof. One dunking and it was finished. I'm sure there are more experienced persons on the board who can help you.
    Bruce

Marty, macros of tied flies from size 26 midges up to something big.

lastchance, I also used a coolpix for macros. My partner fell with it while hiking. Camera busted, ankle busted. It wasn't pretty!

Diane I think the wp series have a pretty good macro. You used some of the pictures I took with mine on FFT. The problem is that with no viewfinder it is a matter of taking several pictures to get one that is properly in focus and shows what you want. I always end up shooting a fly several times and have despaired of getting live insects to sit still long enough to get what I want. I don't use a tripod but lock my arms into a triangle on the table similar to a rifleman in a sitting position. If I don't like the first try I delete it and try adjusting distance,angle,lighting,backdrop and zoom. Usually in less than an hour I have a keeper. That's one reason I haven't hosted a swap in quite a while. All those pictures took longer than tying my flies.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I have an Oly 1050 and the macro on it sucks. I'm use to 35 mm macro lens and this pocket camera is no where close. Take the most recent models from Olympus and put them up against the most recent models from Pentax and compare side by side. That will give you the answer that you want for yourself.

Olympus makes the 6000 and 8000 tough series: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0901/09...tylustough.asp

Pentax just released the http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09...xoptiows80.asp

Good luck shopping. You really didn't mention what price point you were most interested in, but there are several cameras at different price points.

That's exactly what I'm looking for Diane!

Bob
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Normand Guest

how close do you really need to get?

you can get some pretty good close ups if you tried the manual focus function on your optio wp camera and some good photo editing software.

the camera, like a computer is a dumb machine and only does what it is commanded to do.

taken with an old pentax optio wr43

Last edited by Normand; 08-27-2009 at 09:48 AM.

+ Reply to Thread