+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Fish TV

Default Fly Fish TV

Well I was looking to see when this show was going to kick off the new season and I see that it isn't. Seems that you can buy the new episodes but they are not going to be televised. Anyone know if this was a marketing ploy or did they just not have anyone interested enough in the show to pick it up for broadcast?

Dan

Take a look at this link:
    [url=http://www.flyfishtv.com/producersNotes.htm:62cdc]http://www.flyfishtv.com/producersNotes.htm[/url:62cdc]

OLN decide not to pick up the series. I have noticed that they are showing another fly fishing show. I forgot the exact name. It isn't too bad, but doesn't have a tying segment.

------------------
    [url=http://www.rockymtnfly.com:62cdc]Rocky Mountain Fly[/url:62cdc]

Thanks Paul, that is too bad I liked the show and thought it was one of the best for learning new things. I may toy with subscribing to it but the price is higher than I would like.

I have to say I'm extremely disappointed in the OLN lineup. I'd take Fly Fish TV over the Fly Fishing America or Fly Fishing the World segments any day. Unfortunately, I see OLN taking the same route as ESPN did....no substance, just shock value.

Too back the Outdoor Channel can't pick up the show. It was my favorite fly fishing show to date. Destination based, but informative and educational.

I agree, give me something to improve my abilities and I will watch it, the other shows are just that pretty scenery and guest stars without any real substance. I still watch but just because it has some small inkling of my chosen sport. Thank goodness for FAOL, it is full of the stuff you can sink your teeth into and come out smarter!

Folks,

I could not have said better myself. Too much fluff not enough good stuff.

Give me education over glitter any day.

MI S:

Not sure what you mean by shock value. Don't think I would classify FFA or FFTW that way.

I will say that I think FFA is terrible 9 times out of 10 but not in the way you describe. It's just not good.

FFTW on the other hand can be quite good on occasion. I enjoy hearing some of the celeb guests talk about FFing. In paricular I really like the Nick Price episode. Qui Gon Jin was also pretty good. And lastly the Greg LeMonde episode in Tasmania was excellent. When the host caught the big brown you could feel the absolute deep joy he got out of taking and releasing that fish. There was nothing fake about it. It captured the true reason why many fish right there and that is a tough thing to do.

e

I quess they didn't have any room in the 2006 line-up, God forbid they lose any of the 80 hours a week of bullriding!
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Seems like if the programs are not "In Your Face" types of programs they just don't make it anymore. Dosen't seem to matter if the person hosting the show knows anything or not. Or even the guests.

There are a couple of show's on ESPN that I do not understand at all. One is the woman. The blond that was supposed to have been a fly fishing guide in Alaska for 6 years? just watching her handle a fly rod told me she didn't know what she was doing. She snubed fish so bad that had it not been for the heavy tippet material she would have broken the fish off. And she did it several times. Even had a guide? Now why would an Alasken guide need a guide to tell her what to do?

Now they have her on another "In YOur Face" type of show. I think that they relized that people knew she wasn't a real fly fisher. Now they have her Hunting and fishing for large ocean types of fish. Now I am not saying she can't shoot becuase she can. But I myself would much rather have one of the guides that are showing her what to do doing the show. You might learn something. But nope they have to have a blond with a good smile and short shorts on.(Being very PC here)

They have another show on that has some guy on that thinks he is Buffalo Bill or something.? Hunting in Africa with old time rifles that he can't shoot well. Not good for hunting. I have watched two shows and they have had to track game for much to long becuause he "HAD" to use an "OLD" rifle that he couldn't shoot well. Just because he thought it was cool. Sure helps make hunters look bad.

Or the one I think is the worst is The American Sportsman. Many moons ago it use to be a good show. Now they just have movie stars and football players that can't for the most part fish or hunt and we are supposed to go "WOW AIN'T THAT COOL" This week they had a football player that spent his time throwing up. He did catch one bill fish and then told everyone how great he was and spent most of the show doing just that. The guy hosting the show is a big suck up.

Nope I sure would like to go back to when you could learn a thing or two on a TV show. Heck I remember watching Jerry MCCennis (Spelling?) show and learning things. (Even if it was an all arouund type of show) Not anymore it is sex and in your face.
    I sure don't get it maybe I am just getting to dang old? Ron

[This message has been edited by RonMT (edited 02 January 2006).]

eponymous,

Comment was regarding the overall programming content of OLN. My idea of outdoor programming isn't bull riding, Tred Barta, and Survivor. If that's not "shock value", not sure what is. I even have difficulty watching NHL games on an outdoor network (and I'm a hockey fan!)

Overall, I still contend there is very little education-based outdoor programming on the channel. Fly Fish TV was one that fit in to that mold. It had fly tying and casting segments many, if not all, of us can learn from. What have we learned from a program filmed at a destination 80% of us could not afford to travel to - other than it's a beautiful place, has great fishing, and the fact that we now know Greg LeMond flyfishes?

+ Reply to Thread