Just a thought (guess I had too much time to think on a 13 hour bus trip home from Northern Ontario LOL LOL....but not much else to do when one is travelling through the dark of night by bus; and that's another story). The thing that makes our sport so great is the willingness to share with others. To help newcomers out. To share fly patterns or casting tips. To share fishing techniques or info on gear. To maybe even share a glass or two over a story or fishing tale. Fishing is about the camaraderie shared as much as the fish caught. That's why we have fishing buddies, not angling associates. This sharing is done through fly fishing clubs and public forums such as this. I know it might be easy to dismiss certain questions as too basic or trivial. But I can't think of many instances where answers weren't provided on such requests as the best rod and reel combination for trout (or whatever other species) or even how to tie a wooly bugger. As a group, fly fishers pitch in on conservation efforts such as TU or worthy causes like Project Healing Waters or Casting For Recovery. Now sometimes some feel the need to run somebody else down. Maybe to criticize their opinions. Or what they write or say. And I do realize that there is certainly freedom of speech. That forums such as these are public and thus much is open to discussion, good or bad. I know I may have contributed some to the negative words myself. Certainly I have taken a few hits now and then for things I've posted on this forum or elsewhere. As others have taken from time to time. Not everybody is bound to agree all the time. And sometimes mistakes are made that should be pointed out or even corrected. But I got a piece of advice a while back from somebody I respect a lot in the fly fishing community, Bill Spicer: Be true to yourself and do your own thing and don't get involved with the politics of the business. It's very easy to fall into it, and hurtful things are said when you do get involved. The people that make it the best are the ones that keep their mouths shut and don't give opinions on anyone or anything. Always say something good about things no matter how you actually feel about it or them. Words to live by, not only in fly fishing but life in general.
Tight Lines,
Mike