This happened to me just a few short weeks ago fishing the North Fork of the Shoshone River in Wy. After several hours of slow fishing in which I had caught one 5 in rainbow and approx 20-30 whitefish I was ready to head home to the motel for the night. My dad and uncle were already at the car waiting for me. I had on a size 2 chernoble as my top connected to 15 pound test and a size 8 halfback nymph connected to 9 pound as a dropper. On on of the last casts of the night I let the foam bug swing in the current all the way behind me. Thats when I noticed the wake coming in from the depths. I slammed my dropper and just kinda sat there for several minutes not knowing what was happening. After having landed 30 or so cutthroat and rainbows eariar in the week from the same water i knew i had a monster. Even a 19 inch rainbow i caught earliar in the trip felt like a 5 incher compared to this. It took off downstream. I was hollering at my dad and uncle to help me but I couldnt keep up with it. After I ran 200 yards downstream it had nearly spooled me and it wasn't stopping. I cranked my drag down as far as it would go and held onto the spool. It broke off. Never saw it but I think it must have been a leftover laker. This is what keeps me coming back.