+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Balsa Bodies

Bass_Bug Guest

Default Balsa Bodies

Here's one way to make balsa bodies.

Take a short (6" to 8") piece of copper pipe or tubing and file the outside edge as sharp as you can. Then use the pipe to round off square strips of balsa you can get at most hobby and many craft stores (Hobby Lobby, Crafts2000, Michaels etc.).

After rough rounding the balsa, sand to a more uniform cylinder(balsa dowel). I then sand to shape starting with tail of the body being the tip of the dowel. When I get the general length/profile, I cut it off and final sand by hand. (in the picture the top left body has been turned around after cutting off and finishing. you can see the angle I cut it off is the general angle of the face.) For a slight cup face, wrap sandpaper around the appropiate size pipe and sand a 'cup' in the face.

Using a thin kerf x-acto type hobby saw, I cut a shallow slot in the bottom for the hook. For kinkshank hooks(reccomended) to deeped the slot where the kink shank bumps up press the rounded end of a small paperclip straight in. Between the kinkshank and epoxy, the body will never roll on the hook. Here are some stages of the rough rounding, and some finished bodies, flies and kinkshank hooks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Normand Guest

i got a cut just looking at that sharp stuff

cool idea

Bass_Bug Guest

The copper is so soft it files easy, but that also keep its for holding a very sharp edge. The hard part is making a round edge sharp, AND even all around, with a file. The smaller the diameter it becomes even harder to keep even. The graininess of wood can grab the edge of the copper and gouge if you're not careful, the but once you get a couple of inches in the pipe it runs fairly straight.

Here's some I've been working on. The smaller hooks are Mustad 33903 #8 kink shank. The larger are #2 kink shank saltwater "Perfect Popper" hooks from Wapsi.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Instead of the strips of balsa I use a 2x2 inch block 12 inch long from the hobby store. If I want pencil poppers I cut a 3 inch length from the 12 take my brass tube of whatever dia I want and use a golf ball to push the tube thru the length of balsa. Use a pencil sharpener to trim one end. Get about 10 bodys from each 3 inch peice. You can use any dia tube and any length of balsa for poppers,size 12 on up. The golf ball is placed on the push end of the tube to help the palm of your hand. I use artist sealer paint for the first coat then either model store paint or spray. BILL

I sharpen my tubes on the inside with this tool...can be done in seconds...smooth edge and very sharp

A little spendy but I use it for golf club making also.

http://www.golfsmith.com/products/79...ee_Countersink

I use the same tool but from walmart in a package of 3 sizes and i use stainless tubing to make cutters... to push out the peices i use a length of dowell with a wooden ball for a handle... never used balsa but thats a good idear im gonna have to try... ive allways used cork, foam or part of a sandle... how well does the balsa float ?
    Last edited by bugman; 08-23-2009 at 11:37 PM.
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

To sharpen the inside of the tubing you could also use a cone shaped grinding stone like the ones that come with a Dremel tool kit. Just a thought...
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I have never used one but I'll bet you a metal golf club shaft would be an excellent cutter, chrome plated steel with several stepped down sizes available. I could kick myself I left on lying where it had be discarded a couple of weeks ago.

Umbrellas with metal shafts are also good.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bugman View Post
    I use the same tool but from walmart in a package of 3 sizes and i use stainless tubing to make cutters... to push out the peices i use a length of dowell with a wooden ball for a handle... never used balsa but thats a good idear im gonna have to try... ive allways used cork, foam or part of a sandle... how well does the balsa float ?
    Balsa should float at least as good as cork I would think, but probably not as good as the styrofoam that commercially tied poppers are made of, but I'm not sure about that last point.

Greg

Hi All,

Being a chemist, and no spring chicken, I use a tool at work every now and then that is ideal for cutting the popper bodies from balsa.

The tool is the cork borer. They are available in power models, ones that look like a tiny hand driven drill press, and in hand models.

They borer part is typically brass, or nickle plated brass. You can buy a cork borer sharpener that is made specifically to sharpen them.

The brass is still relatively soft, but is much harder than copper.

An old set that runs from 1/8th inch to 1/2 inch (and several sizes in between) can be bought for $20 or so.

Go to Ebay and type in "cork borer."

Regards,

Gandolf

+ Reply to Thread