+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Accessible Fishing

Default Accessible Fishing

Hello, I'm from England but my job frequently takes me to Los Angeles. Can anyone recommend any fishing opportunities in the LA area?

I'd also like to stretch a business trip with a weekend's fly fishing elsewhere in the US. The problem's access, by the time I've got to the water it's time to pack up and go. Anyone any suggestions for great fly fishing that's reasonably accessible from a major airport? I realise international hubs and trout don't usually mix, but any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Although not until May or so, I bet you can get a Boston guide to meet you at (Boston's) Logan airport and take you out for a memorable day of striper fly fishing less than 5 miles off the runways. You couold even take a redeye from LA, fish all day, and take one of the evening flights to Europe. Post here if you'd like more details.

[This message has been edited by josko (edited 02 January 2006).]

Dear Gary,

Believe it or not there is some pretty decent trout fishing in the hills outside of Los Angeles.

From what I've seen it's mostly small stream fishing, but the fish are all wild fish. Rainfall has a lot to do with the fishing, but it looks like there is going to be ample water up there for the foreseeable future.

There are people who post on this board who fish in that area, hopefully one of them sees your post and offers to take you fishing.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

I am one of the ones that live in the mountains near LA. As Tim said, there is actually quite a lot of flyfishing in/around the area. I live about 1/2 mile from one of the streams and am familiar with a number of others. Email me when you know when you'll be in our area and I'm sure we can arrange to get you on some decent water. Do you have any timeline as to when you'll be in the LA area?

Thanks for your suggestions, they're much appreciated. Is there an association of guides, or a web site where they can be found?

Gary,
    First, welcome to FAOL.

As for a site with guide reccomendations, I don't think there is anything like that nationally, and I don't even know of anything like that regionally. Mostly it would be by word of mouth recommendations etc. If you do want the Boston Striper experience, do as Josko said and let us know via this board. I am sure that Josko or even I could get you set up with a good guide. There are a number of good ones in the Boston area and the fish are literally just off the runway.

jed

+ Reply to Thread