+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: tippet knots

The double surgeon's knot works for me. For pulling a fly out of a tree, it's a toss up on what will break first. Hopefully, it's somewhere in the tippet or leader and not the rod. I've had the DS knot hold and the break occurred at the fly.

I figure once it's in the tree, it's lost. If the surgeon's knot holds, I usually have to trim off what's left of the tippet to put on a proper length of new tippet anyway.

I'm having touble understanding the continued references in this thread about hoping that the rod doesn't break when attempting to free the fly from being snagged in a tree or bush. Grabbing the fly line BEYOND the rod tip, turning my face AWAY from the snag and pulling the fly line with my hand has always freed the fly (or broken the tippet), and never stressed the rod.

What am I doing wrong?
    No man can have too many fly rods;
    no woman too many shoes.

I'm with you on the references to rod breaking. While I don't grab the fly line beyond he tip of the rod, I do point the rod directly at the snag, pinch the line against the handle next to the reel and pull straight back. No stress on the rod itself.

If you go here http://www.fishingclub.com/ExtraCont...tid=1425858079 they test knots on a machine. They also test more than just mono. But the truth is there is so much more to knot tying that strength. Besides tying it correctly and being able to repeat it time and time agian, there is speed. You just broke off in a tree and fish are rising man, get yourself back up and running fast.
    There is the ability (for a Wisconsin boy at least) to tie a knot when your hands are Cold. Nothing like early season in March and it is just hovering around the feezing. You have to tie a knot that is quick to tie, easy to tie and you can tie it correctly.

There is also saving on tippet material. I know that a Palomar knot is much stronger than an improved clinch, BUT the Palomar has much greater waste and I have to retie tippet on more often when I am changing flies and searching for the key to unlock the daily trout puzzle.

4. Default

Try a triple surgeons knot.

On knots and specifically double vs tripple surgeons knots. I remember that one was recomended for one tippet size and the other for another. In other words, one is recomended for thicker tippet and the other for finer tippet. I'm not sure if it has to do with strength or knot size. Can anyone shed some light on that?

I tie perfection loops on the leader and tippet and then use the loop -to-loop connections.
    I tie smaller flies (size 8 or smaller) on with the Davy Knot. Larger ones with the improved clinch knot.

JR

Quote Originally Posted by jrgocards View Post
    I tie perfection loops on the leader and tippet and then use the loop -to-loop connections.
    I tie smaller flies (size 8 or smaller) on with the Davy Knot. Larger ones with the improved clinch knot.

JR
    The perfection loop is a very weak knot (maybe 80%?) although I admit it looks great and you can make a nice small loop.

Try a Figure 8 loop knot.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    The perfection loop is a very weak knot (maybe 80%?) although I admit it looks great and you can make a nice small loop.

Try a Figure 8 loop knot.
    thats one of my favorite knots thanks for bursting my bubble lol

I was assuming the rod tip breakage comments were when the fly snags on the back cast and you didn't know it. On the forecast, then there would be quite a bit of pressure on the rod and I'd rather have the tippet snap than my rod.

Other than that, I'm with the rest of you guys, when I hang one in a tree, I just grab the fly line and give it a pull. Sometimes, I get the fly back, usually, I get to tie on new tippet and a new fly.

Jeff

If I'm not losing 3 flies per morning (and I fish for trout about 120 mornings a year from end of runoff until it's too cold), I figure I'm not casting aggressively enough to the tight lies where the trout on my favorite small streams hang out.

I do a lot of casting right next to the bank under willow bushes and although I'm damn accurate, if I do say so myself, most of the time, wind and other factors of my own doing get me hang-ups. It's rare that I will disturb the water by getting in and wading to undo the snagged fly. Pull and hope for the best is the usual course.
    No man can have too many fly rods;
    no woman too many shoes.

+ Reply to Thread