+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hiatus

Default Hiatus

If you where to recommend a place for an escape from the Northern winter weather, where you could fish the salt water, inland lakes and rivers and enjoy golfing what would it be. Remember it?s a fixed income here; I haven?t hit the lottery with the exception of my darling Michele.

2-week hiatuses thru the winter would be great. We don't mind driving from Bliss NY, although it seems our outdoor activities have exceeded the vehicle.

Regards and Happy New Year to all

Philip
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

JC, it comes with the territory, we have many facets in our life so we feel they are all important.

Philip
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

Hey old geezer,

I know its a long ways away from New York but Phoenix, Arizona is sunny and like 68 or 69 today for the high, man I hate this winter "FREEZE". I'm not saying it doesn't get a little chilly here but this is the time of year we live for in Arizona.

Southwest Airlines or America West Airlines usually has some pretty cheap tickets.

No "SNOW" to lose your ball in and an unlimited number of courses to play on, if thats your choice of sport. I must admit I like the golf courses to, but its only because they have some really big bass and they don't see many flies or fisherman.

We have some pretty good desert lake fishing for trout,largemouth bass, stripers, white bass and crappie.

Trout are abundant all around the state but some of the best fishing occurs in the White Mountains (lakes and streams) and even some 18" to 24" big Dawgs are roaming up there.

You could always plan a fishing trip to the famed Lee's Ferry in Northern Arizona, a trip where you'll fish with 1000'red rock canyon walls on both sides of you,it's a spectacular sight you soon won't forget, maybe never.

You could also visit the beautiful and mystical town of Sedona, Az for some great sight seeing, Photography opportunities, and great food and wine.

But don't forget to bring along your shorter 7-71/2' 3 or 4wt. rod to catch some of the Wild Brown Trout in Oak Creek, which runs through the Town of Sedona, and only a short detour West on the way to Lee's Ferry.

After spending a day fishing "The Ferry" you could slide on over and spend a day sight seeing at the Grand Canyon, as your just a couple hours drive away. This is truly one of the Seven Wonders of the World. Here you can spend some time standing on the edge of the earth with your wife, admiring this great spectacal, it will leave you a changed human being.

Our fisheries are open all year long and only some of the Highest Mountain lakes freeze over during winter. We have a few native trout, one of which is the Apache Trout, which grows quite large in some locations and the winter fishing on Silver Creek, in Show Low, AZ can be spectacular during this time of year.

After visiting here during the winter months, you might just like it enough to come back regularly or Heaven forbid, move here permanently, Hehehe!!!

Happy New Year to you and yours old geezer,

Terry
    "The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." - John Gierach

Terry,
    You left out that you have "some ocean front property for sale in Arizona"....[G]

------------------
    Respect Your Elders!

JC,

Golf courses are not parking lots....just good examples of what good work God can do if you give him enough money....[G]

What not look at the Myrtle Beach, SC area? It is off-season, they have some fishing piers, marshes are to the North and South of Myrtle for in-shore fishing, and you aren't too far from some nice freshwater fishing.

While I don't golf, I know they have at least 100 golf courses so I'm sure you could find golfing fairly cheap.

-John

Ak We did enjoy the area and lee's ferry was great. We hit it on a monday when they opened up the gates. When the water came up to the mile 6-7 and 10-12 we hit, it was like shooting fish in a barrell.

I would like 65-75 dergees. Fishing is #1, golf #2.

Philip

[This message has been edited by old geezer (edited 01 January 2006).]

Cabo.

Terry, with a reply like that you could go to work for the Phoenix Chamber of Commerce. However, if too many people read this thread, we'll be inundated with Snowbirds and golly gee I don't know if Phoenix is set up for S Birds.

Seriously, now the rest of you know why this is such a great place to for "Retirement".

Happy New Year to all.

------------------
    There's snow on the roof but the fire still burns in the oven.

Silvertop2,

I know, I know, I shouldn't be telling everyone about the fishing and the great weather here in Sunny Arizona, some people actually enjoy those sub zero days and snow up to your keister. I hear that using a snow shovel is almost as fun as a flyrod, but I'm not willing to trade mine in just yet.

Didn't you have to wear your down jacket and gloves yesterday, watching the news last night they said our high was 74, so I missed it by a few degrees. Uuuuhhhhggg!!! For the love of humanity, will it ever drop?

ducksterman,

No ocean front property in Arizona as the song goes, but if you so desire you can be into some great saltwater fishing in the Gulf of Mexico in about 4 1/2 hours at Puerto Penasco by just driving South! or even better saltwater fishing further down the Gulf by airplane to Loreto, or Cabo San Lucas.

My last trip South to Loreto, Mexico, saw several legitimate Flyrod shots at Marlin and Sailfish, although I didn't hook up this trip, what a rush!!! Flyrodding for Roosterfish that were crashing bait right up onto the beach in front of the water front hotel we stayed in, and as many "Big, Fiesty, Freight Training" Dorado as one person would ever want to catch on a flyrod. After three unrelenting days of this, I hurt!!!

The doctor said my back and arms should recover enough to return next year, and do it all over again. I think my wife is really upset with him and his prognosis.

As a matter of fact, after hearing all the fish stories, seeing all the photos from the group that went, and watching the video footage, I actually don't think he feels sorry for me anymore. Go Figure!!!

What I can't figure out, is why I keep bumping into him at our local park, smelling like coconut sun screen, reading "Spanish For The Fisherman" booklet and practice casting his "Brand New" 10 and 12wt. flyrods. Hehehe!!!

Happy New Year everyone!!!

Terry
    "The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." - John Gierach

+ Reply to Thread