Thread: About our flyrods....

Threaded View

Default About our flyrods....

Dblackman brought up something i don't think about often and that's my first fly rod.
    David says that his first fly rod and the first fly he caught a fish on will stay with him forever.

I don't have the first fly that i caught a fish on but i do have my first flyrod.
    Got it when i was 9 from Thrifty Drug Store in Richmond, CA. That was in '55.
    I fished it a lot over many years, clear up into the 80's since it was my only flyrod.
    All it says on it is 'Signature'. I don't know if that's a brand or model name. It's a 7 footer
    and when i was 9 it seemed a mile long. If i had to choose a weight designation for it,
    I'd call it a 6. It's a handful compared to the rods of today but i was used to it and i didn't
    imagine that there was much better until around 1980.

It's blue with blue and white wraps...very crude with little finish. I haven't
    fished it for a while but i think i will again soon just because. I'll even line
    the Viscoy reel Grandad gave me and i think i'll go for trout since that's all
    i ever wanted to catch when i first started. the cork grip is intact and so are
    all the guides and tip top...a steel ferruled 2 piece with a lot of memories on
    it.

I remember checking Thrifty's often and saving for a flyrod and one day they
    had put out the blue one and i had enough money finally....$4.16 if i remember
    correctly. No more than $4.xx though, i know that for sure. Happy day that was.

So I'm wondering who all here in FAOL still has their first flyrod and if there
    is some kind of story behind it. The best part of my first flyrod purchase was
    that when i came home with it and with no reel, Grandad broke out a trunk
    of old stuff and handed me the Viscoy. From then on i was pretty much on my
    own but i'd been reading Field & Stream for 2 or so years while i was saving
    the money to buy my first flyrod so i kind of knew what to do.

How 'bout it ? Anyone have their first flyrod still? Thanks Dblackman,
    you made me take a trip back in time that i always enjoy.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
    Last edited by MontanaMoose; 08-21-2009 at 07:58 PM.