+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About our flyrods....

Hybrid View

Default About our flyrods....

Dblackman brought up something i don't think about often and that's my first fly rod.
    David says that his first fly rod and the first fly he caught a fish on will stay with him forever.

I don't have the first fly that i caught a fish on but i do have my first flyrod.
    Got it when i was 9 from Thrifty Drug Store in Richmond, CA. That was in '55.
    I fished it a lot over many years, clear up into the 80's since it was my only flyrod.
    All it says on it is 'Signature'. I don't know if that's a brand or model name. It's a 7 footer
    and when i was 9 it seemed a mile long. If i had to choose a weight designation for it,
    I'd call it a 6. It's a handful compared to the rods of today but i was used to it and i didn't
    imagine that there was much better until around 1980.

It's blue with blue and white wraps...very crude with little finish. I haven't
    fished it for a while but i think i will again soon just because. I'll even line
    the Viscoy reel Grandad gave me and i think i'll go for trout since that's all
    i ever wanted to catch when i first started. the cork grip is intact and so are
    all the guides and tip top...a steel ferruled 2 piece with a lot of memories on
    it.

I remember checking Thrifty's often and saving for a flyrod and one day they
    had put out the blue one and i had enough money finally....$4.16 if i remember
    correctly. No more than $4.xx though, i know that for sure. Happy day that was.

So I'm wondering who all here in FAOL still has their first flyrod and if there
    is some kind of story behind it. The best part of my first flyrod purchase was
    that when i came home with it and with no reel, Grandad broke out a trunk
    of old stuff and handed me the Viscoy. From then on i was pretty much on my
    own but i'd been reading Field & Stream for 2 or so years while i was saving
    the money to buy my first flyrod so i kind of knew what to do.

How 'bout it ? Anyone have their first flyrod still? Thanks Dblackman,
    you made me take a trip back in time that i always enjoy.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
    Last edited by MontanaMoose; 08-21-2009 at 07:58 PM.

Default First Fly Rod

Dad bought me my first fly rod about 25 years ago. It was an orvis clearwater 7'6" 5 wt, 2 piece. I used it exclusively until two years ago when I bought an 8 wt for salmon/steelhead (and then another, and then another...)

I wanted to wet a line early this spring and was hoping to catch some bluegills that might have moved onto the beds. I grabbed the 5 wt and headed out about sun up. Second or third cast I heard an odd sound and felt some sort of thump that made me think I hit the rod with my fly on the backcast. It was a dry fly and the thump felt like I had hit the rod with a some weight. The same thing happened on the next cast. I waded back to shore to look at the rod, line and fly. The rod had shattered about 2/3 the way up the bottom piece.

Orvis replaced the rod. I like the replacement, but its not the same as using the old 5 wt. I wish I had been able to hang onto it, if only to look at the scratches and remember how each one got there.

Phishtales

I have my first rod, at least most of the pieces

It was a Japanese cane, 9' with variegated wraps and cheap aluminum reel seat
    Got it at the Two Guys department store and as I remember it cost $3, but I could be wrong about that.
    I did catch my first trout on the fly on it, but mostly I fished it with bait.
    Worked very well for high-sticking red wigglers through pocket water even though it was a bit heavy for a kid.
    It snapped one afternoon in the electric tailgate window of my dad's Rambler wagon along with granddad's H-I Governor
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

My very first fly rod was a Shakespeare combo (5/6) I bought at Wally's for $ 19.99. I used the reel with no backing and had a level line. It included a set of flies (not very well tied either lol)
    A couple of guys made fun of me when they saw me with this combo. lol. Unfortunately I don't have it anymore. I sure caught fish with it, I believe my very first one was a bluegill at Road Runner park in Arizona.
    I believe I can fly fish

I can well remember my first flyrod, although it disappeared years ago. My older brother returned from a tour of duty with the Air Force in Japan in 1953. He had heard from my mother that I loved to fish (Cane Pole type). So, he brought me a cane flyrod from Japan. I can well remember receiving it. It was in a balsam wood box with felt lined mounts in the box. It also had a collection of flies in a small compartment at one end of the box. Fortunately, it had two tips because I quickly broke the first tip in a willow tree. I used this rod for many years with the same flies that came with the kit. That was the beginning of my love for fly fishing and it has never deminished. I often think about this beginning because I now have many rods, but none that I enjoy more than that first one.
    God Bless America

Thank you for sharing all your stories. It is cool to see who really remembers. Don't forget, that just because you dont have that fly or that fly rod anymore hanging in your garage. It can still be "with you". My first fly is might be in a Altoids can on my work bench in the garage and who knows where it will be in ten or 15 years. The rod might break, get lost, dropped into the deep abyss, its anyone's guess. The memories created with the rod and fly will never leave me.

David

My Dad bought me my first one also...in the 40's...and I still have it..it's a south Bend bamboo with and extra tip and still have the original sock and cardboard tube.

MM, my story is that Dad decided I should have the opportunity to learn to fly fish though he knew nothing about it...nor did I...well, in that small town in Iowa we fished the local sand pit or the creek....I headed for the sand pit and put on a hook and worm and a pear shaped lead sinker ...I had no idea about casting a fly line but did know the stroke was different...
    After flinging that setup somehow and getting hit in the back of the head with that sinker about three times I decided the old way was the best.

I've kept that rod over the years during many locations but you know I realize now I never have lined it and tried casting...I believe it is time but it almost seems sacrilegious...Thanks, George, I'm going to do it....wonder what size it is.

Default Great !

Nice posts and stories everyone, thank you. Well it occured to me when i read Dblackman's post over in the other thread that i keep saying i'll line my
    old blue fibreglass rod one of these days and Tuesday will be the day once i return to its location.

Geez ducksterman, shoot me a pm maybe and remind me where you are and
    i'm thinking we should line the 'old ones' at the same place?

Can't wait to see more 'first flyrod' posts !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

gave mine to a kid just starting to fish. Seemed fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by rockthief View Post
    gave mine to a kid just starting to fish. Seemed fitting.

Yep, passed mine on too!

+ Reply to Thread