+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How NOT to save money fly tying

Default How NOT to save money fly tying

This is a short commentary on how not to save money by buying cheap. We all know this lesson, but sometimes we just have to get slapped across the face with it to be reminded.

I started tying and knew that I wanted a rotary vise. I bought a DanVise. Nice enough vise at this price point but I just didn't have the sense of pride of ownership that I wanted and within just a couple of months bought a Peak Rotary. Nice vise, made in USA with good company support. Still it lacked in what I wanted. I WANTED a Dyna King Barracuda and settled for the Peak. Today I do what I have done many times and finally bought what I wanted a Dyna King Barracuda. Yeah, sure would love a LAW but that is like saying that I want a Lamborghini, it's not going to happen.

So I bought three vises to end up with the one that I wanted first. This is the way not to save a dime, when will I learn?

Rick
    Last edited by Clay; 08-19-2009 at 09:04 PM.

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Hiya Rick !
    I been tyin flies for 42 years..... Never saved a dime doin it... Won't ever quit though........ Actually, I put it down for a few years in my late teens in favor of chasing girls.....might have saved a little then...haha.....ModocDan
    I finally slowed down enough that the best one caught me........

Depending on your point of view catching a girl or getting caught is about the second biggest investment you can make, having kids is probably the biggest cost. Both depend upon the individuals involved. Trust me I have caught one girls (42+ years) and have two children (27 & 39 years) and did it about as inexpensively as it can be done with comfort, except Mama has been stay home mom instead of a profit center.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Well, returning to fly fishing, and my hankering to tye again, I got a "beginners set" to see if it was worthwhile or if I was just off on a tangent again.
    Weren't no tangent.
    So my next step was into the deep water. Now with around $1000.00 in supplies and a nice Nor-Vise set up, I'm thoroughly mired in the proverbial creek and will have to tye for another 147 (+/-) years to make it pay.
    But it is fun and I enjoy it!
    Much better than runnin out to bars, betting on sports, or a sundry of other activities we spend our money and time on.
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

Clay,
    Tying does pay......well sort of. I imagine we can look forward to two vises being posted in the "For Sale" BB.

Just looking off to my left at a stack of feathers and supplies in baggies and clear boxes. Someone, I think it was the salesman at my local shop, told me you could tie flies cheaper than buying them. What he neglected to mention was that it would take the rest of my life to break even.

But, I won't give it up!!! I enjoy it too much.

Can't agree more with quality vs. $$$. Bought some peacock herl cheap. Thought I was getting a steal, rarely use it because it breaks so often, lucky if I get two wraps out of it.

Jim
    There are three ways to complete a project. The right way, the wrong way or the Boss' way. You'd best learn the Boss' way.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Default Did the vises hold a hook firmly?

Hi Clay,

I think that we have to differentiate between equipment that is upgraded because it doesn't work well and equipement that is upgraded because there is a something out there with more whistles and bells available. I would guess that all of thoses vises were servicable, sound vises. Many of our FAOLers would probably been very happy with them. I actually do a lot of my tying with a Thompson knockoff that I purchased from Hook and Hackle 7-8 years ago. It cost approximately $24 and had three sets of jaws that came with. It's been a very effective but low status vise. It all depends what you're looking for. Different strokes!. 8T

Blog Entries

I, on the other hand, am still tying on the second (during 30+ years of tying) Thompson vise I have owned. It does everything I need it to do, and I have no desire to "upgrade" to a vise that costs ten or twenty times as much and still holds that hook steady so I can put stuff on it.

My point is, buy what you want, but you don't necessarily NEED the most expensive product out there to enjoy this sport. Well, I don't, anyway.

8T's and DG, fine posts indeed. Some of us do confuse a Need and a Want. I did find the Barracuda on sale and I just couldn't let it sit there, it was calling my name.

Since my wife and daughter both tie from time to time, not sure on selling any of the back ups. Also have a second home, might just leave a vise there instead of hauling things back and forth like I do now. Will keep the Peak and the DanVise will probably go to the trout shack to stay.

All of the above vises were fine products, like I said, it had nothing to do with Need.

I did find a nice vise, a AA knock off for $8.00 that I am thinking of buying the neighbor kid. I also found a complete tool kit for $14, scissors, bodkin, stacker, bobbin, whip finisher, hackle pliers. Now for $22 plus some shipping I can start the neighbor kid on the road to financial ruin. HA

In all seriousness, it's a grand hobby and very relaxing indeed. It's 4:30 am and I have already tied a half doz flies this morning. It's fun when the whole family fishes, I have to go through a few flies with the kids sticking them in trees but it gives me a reason to play with the toys.

Bass_Bug Guest

Oh, where to start??? A lot of great comments in this thread, and many made me laugh because I could have said them myself. Yes we only need a vise to tie what we tie. What we want is usually for pure selfish reasons.

Outside of the vise, or premium capes/necks (or Lord help us, a full JC cape) most of what we spend is relatively cheap and easy to get away with (from the other half), but as we all know, after years of "I need to stop at the fly shop and pick up some thread/hooks/dubbing etc." we end up with enough materials to start our own fly shops.

My "fly tying plan" was that by the time I retire (still a couple decades away) I would be good enough to tie professionally for local fly shops. I see this being more appealing then greeting at WallyWorld. Seeing a potential long term ROI, my wife bought it hook, line & sinker.

"quality vs. $$$. Bought some peacock herl cheap." Brittle usually means too harsh of a dying process. I know with stripped quills you can soften them by soaking overnight in a 50/50 mix of water and hair condition(cream rinse). If the wife or daughter doesn't have any on hand, look for any brand that's marketed for dry hair (versus oily hair) and try it. Will work on all hair materials and SOME feather materials. I personally would not try on it on good hackle though. But testing one feather would prove beneficial either way.

quality vs. $$$: On the other hand, yes the LAW is a sleek good looking vice, but you'll never convince me that an $800 vise can do anything more or better than a $100 vice.

"Now for $22 plus some shipping I can start the neighbor kid on the road to financial ruin." That's pure evil....and I love it!!!

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Talking The Call!

[QUOTE=Clay;313464]8T's and DG, fine posts indeed. Some of us do confuse a Need and a Want. I did find the Barracuda on sale and I just couldn't let it sit there, it was calling my name.

Hi Clay,

I think every fly fisherman or fly tyer in the world understands how it is when a piece of equipment or material begins to call your name. The first calls are soft and tenative. The calls become progressively louder and more frequent. Eventually, they must be obeyed---there is no choice or free will. Take care! 8T

+ Reply to Thread