+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trout on a Frog?

Hybrid View

Default Trout on a Frog?

I got out the big plug cutter (1/2" dia) and removed a plug from a pair of abandoned foam wedges (think high heel flip flops) after much sanding and stock removal came away with a pretty good looking frog fly. With frogs, I think bass first, then bream but I have been primarily trout fishing lately and was thinking of tying the frog on and using it as a strike indicator for nymph fishing. What are the chances of a trout hitting a frog?
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Cold Guest

Other than browns of crocodilian proportions taking them in twilight conditions, I'd think not too good. For average-sized trout, the physical proportions make it a tricky business: I dont think a respectably-sized frog will fit!

A few years ago, I caught an 17'' brookie through the ice on a local lake. He had a fairly good sized frog in his belly. I'm guessing he had rooted it out of the bottom of the lake. I doubt you'll catch many small trout on your frog, but I wouldn't hold off on trying it if you are where they can get thier mouth around it.

Well Jesse, In the Sierra Nevadas of Eastern California we have an eco problem with California Golden Trout (Non-Native in high mountain lakes?) eating Green-legged frogs (Native to high mountain lakes?) Tree huggers want the trout eradicated from all non-native waters to Save The Frog.
    Try that fly. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I've been told that in stillwater fisheries where there is a large population of trout there is frequently a small population of amphibians...and vise versa....but it is because the trout eat the eggs.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

my experience is that frogs tend to stay at the edge of ponds etc and not to the center, they also when distrubed head to the bottom as fast as they can to get in the mud. I suspect that the reason trout arn't found with more frogs in their guts is that frogs make it very difficult for the trout.

I see no reason why if given a chance a trout wouldnt eat a frog, any more than a trout wouldnt eat a mouse if given the oppertunity.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Quote Originally Posted by jimsnarocks View Post
    Well Jesse, In the Sierra Nevadas of Eastern California we have an eco problem with California Golden Trout (Non-Native in high mountain lakes?) eating Green-legged frogs (Native to high mountain lakes?) Tree huggers want the trout eradicated from all non-native waters to Save The Frog.
    Try that fly. Jim
    I think the prob with those frogs is trout eating the tadpoles. That, and CA DFG stocking willy-nilly w/o thinking about it. I don't want to see stocking stopped, my kid likes to fish too, but I would like a little more forethought.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Cool

I will not get started on bureaucrats and focus groups; I will not get started on bureaucrats and focus groups; I will not get started on bureaucrats and focus groups.

I'm sorry I only got in about a half day fishing this past weekend and stupidity pushes me close to the edge.

Bass_Bug Guest

Default Frog poppers

Nothing says they have to big BIG frogs? A lot of small frog popper patterns are not much bigger than some Hopper patterns.

By the way since I read here about cutting foam plugs out of flip flops, I have been looking for cheap flops to do this with. I was at WallyWorld last night and saw a pair of green 'high-heel flops' like you mentioned with a good 1.5 inch think 'heels'. Yep you're definitely on to something with this whole plug cutter, flip flop idea.

I have left overs from my daughter. If you frequent hotels check with the maintenance guys they will possibly have a collection in the swimming pool pump room that were left by the pool. Previously worn flip flops are just as good as new, you are going to cut or sand away the outside anyway. If this is a new venture for you I will save you a little time, go to the dollar store and get a pack of emery boards.

+ Reply to Thread