+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trout on a Frog?

Default Trout on a Frog?

I got out the big plug cutter (1/2" dia) and removed a plug from a pair of abandoned foam wedges (think high heel flip flops) after much sanding and stock removal came away with a pretty good looking frog fly. With frogs, I think bass first, then bream but I have been primarily trout fishing lately and was thinking of tying the frog on and using it as a strike indicator for nymph fishing. What are the chances of a trout hitting a frog?
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Cold Guest

Other than browns of crocodilian proportions taking them in twilight conditions, I'd think not too good. For average-sized trout, the physical proportions make it a tricky business: I dont think a respectably-sized frog will fit!

A few years ago, I caught an 17'' brookie through the ice on a local lake. He had a fairly good sized frog in his belly. I'm guessing he had rooted it out of the bottom of the lake. I doubt you'll catch many small trout on your frog, but I wouldn't hold off on trying it if you are where they can get thier mouth around it.

Well Jesse, In the Sierra Nevadas of Eastern California we have an eco problem with California Golden Trout (Non-Native in high mountain lakes?) eating Green-legged frogs (Native to high mountain lakes?) Tree huggers want the trout eradicated from all non-native waters to Save The Frog.
    Try that fly. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I've been told that in stillwater fisheries where there is a large population of trout there is frequently a small population of amphibians...and vise versa....but it is because the trout eat the eggs.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

my experience is that frogs tend to stay at the edge of ponds etc and not to the center, they also when distrubed head to the bottom as fast as they can to get in the mud. I suspect that the reason trout arn't found with more frogs in their guts is that frogs make it very difficult for the trout.

I see no reason why if given a chance a trout wouldnt eat a frog, any more than a trout wouldnt eat a mouse if given the oppertunity.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Smile

Thanks guys, I wish I had a decent camera to post a photo and get tweaking comments. I have had trout hit strike indicators in the past. The idea of using what started out as bass/bream fly a trout fly/strike indicator occurred to me as an after thought.

I will report back if anything usually good happens.

Blog Entries

Uncle Jesse, are you familiar with the small tree frogs in your part of the world? Think of frogs in that size for trout and panfish. Gray, brown, and black would be the colors that I would think of. The bellies are usually a lighter color. Good luck.

Ed

Yes yes and yes Certainly down here in NZ the Trout will hit a frog pattern and you will be amazed how big a frog they will try to get in there mouths!
    Brown trout in the evening, a mouse or a frog on the surface, wait for the explosion!
    Let us know how you go.
    All the best.
    Mike

Here's Froggy. Would you tie the legs in to a more natural configuration or leave them be? Other critiques are appreciated.
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 01-18-2010 at 09:47 PM.

+ Reply to Thread