Yes, I like to tie known patterns or patterns that have proven themselves. I also like to tie flies that take whatI consider proven proportions and techniques and make a fly that catches fish. I would never say that I invented a new fly. I bluntly believe that there is nothing new under the sun, but I have borrowed different things from different flies and come up with patterns that catch fish.

So do you always tie known patterns?

I have people ask me, with what fly did you catch those fish? I often go into a description of the fly without a name. Then they look at me like I am trying to hide something. I often just open my fly box and say - this one, as I hold up an example at which people almost demand a name. I don't name my flies because again, I believe there is nothing new under the sun.

A short story why I won't name a fly: A long time member of our local TU comes to a meeting with a envelop that his is hidding and sharing with a few folks. He says he has discovered a new fly and has created a pattern that is pretty effective. Upon looking at the fly it is a simple soft hackle that has been tied from the 1800s but he goes on to tell how he is considering getting a patten.

I don't want to get laughed at so I don't name them I just fish them.