Sport fishing column for Aug 17 to 24, 2009

As I mentioned earlier in this series developing a child's interest in fishing does require some patience in the begging, but the rewards far exceed the temporary inconvenience. Some of the fondest memories Kim and I have of fishing with our daughters came for these times. My favorite; was when my oldest daughter, Morgan, would dressing each fish she caught in her doll clothes. As she would have it, Kim and I could release all our fish but her fish were for dinner. Not only were her fish to be kept for dinner but they needed to be dressed properly before they came to our home. Seven years later at age eleven this same girl would be paid and published by the DFO (Department of Fisheries and oceans Canada) for an (children's) article she wrote for their Fish Smart Program. Our youngest, Joanna; not to be out done by her sister, soon became a master at telling fish stories, and by age nine was teaching other kids the art of tying flies. How to spark the interest in your spouse next week.

The Report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is good; the cooler weather has done the job and gotten things moving again. Mornings and evenings are the ticket. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Chironomid, Professor, Nations Black, Baggy Shrimp, Carey Special, Souboo, Zulu, Halfback, Caddis Nymph, Big Black, Wooly Bugger, Doc Spratley, or Dragonfly Nymph. For dry (floating) try: Lady McConnel, Griffith Gnat, Black Gnat, Black Ant, Royal Coachman, Double Hackled Peacock, Adams, Tom Thumb, Big Ugly, Elk Hair Caddis, or Irresistible. For Kokanee: try Red Abbis, red Spratley, red Tom Thumb, red or pink Leach, or Double Trude.

Bass, and panfish fishing is good. For bass and panfish try: Clouser's Deep Minnow, Crayfish, Poppers, Big Black, Stimulator, Bucktail, Rolled Muddler, Dolly Whacker, Tied down Minnow, or Tom Thumb.

The fishing on all of our interior lakes is good also. For wet fly fishing try: Chironomid (the big bombers), Nations Silver Tip, Sixpack, 52 Buick, Butlers Bug, Pheasant Tail Nymph, Big Black, Green Spratley, Caddis Nymph, or Baggy Shrimp. If dry fly is your fancy try: Tom Thumb, Adams, Royal Wulff, Lady McConnel, Black Gnat, Elk Hair Caddis, Griffith Gnat, Renegade, or Irresistible.

The Fraser River is closed to salmon fishing above the Rosedale Bridge, in Chilliwack, due to the low sockeye count.

The pinks are on the way; with reports of good beach fishing for pinks from the north shore to Squamish.

The Stave River is good for rainbow and cutthroat. For rainbow try: Big Black, Zulu, Souboo, Royal Coachman, Elk Hair Caddis, Kaufmann's Stone, Adams, Irresistible, Stimulator, or Renegade. For cutthroat try the above along with Roller Muddler, Clouser's Deep Minnow, lioness, Coachman, Cezch Nymph, Sixpack, or Mickey Finn.

The Vedder River is good for rainbow.

The Harrison is good for rainbow and cutthroat.

The Thompson River is good for rainbow. Try: Joe's Hopper, Kaufmann's Stone, Irresistible, Tom Thumb, Rolled Muddler, or Stimulator.

Need some fly fishing lessons? Call us "Reel Life Ministries" at 1-604-820-4099.

Until the next time, "Keep your fly in the water".