+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What percentage do you tie?

Fish 95 % of what I tie myself. The other 5% is flies other folks send or I get in swaps as I am always looking for new flies that work.

Most of the flies I use are not commercially available.

Rick

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

I'd say I'm in the 90% range with self ties.

Most exceptions have to do with travel and the introduction of regionally specific, species specific or new patterns that weren't anticipated and for which I have no close substitutes.

Best, Dave

I've been very fortunate this year to receive some fantastic flies from some very generous members of this board; thanks John, Kelly and Walter. Besides those, I tie pretty much everything I fish; I'll pick up a fly or two from a shop if there's something in particular I want to copy.

Regards,
    Scott

I'm guessing I tie about 85% of the flies I use. I like purchasing local patterns from what ever river system (or fly shop) I'm fishing from. I mix those in with the ones I tie myself...which has gone from everything one sees in a mag or on the web to a very basic dozen or two patterns I use all the time. I find it's a hell of a lot cheaper and far less time consuming to stick with the fewest patterns that work for you. I also won't spend more than a couple of minutes on a fly so if its not a quicky...it rarely gets tied, by me anyways, with the one exeption of a couple of Galloup streamer patterns the are well worth the time it takes tp put those puppies together.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

100% here.
    I've only bought three flies, a White Wulff, Hank Roberts Black Domino Nymph, and a Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear...(ever).
    I caught fish on the Hare's Ear.
    I'm afraid I haven't been very good for the commercial fly tiers economy.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

I like to buy some from the local fly shop when I go in for advice or to chat, otherwise I tie almost all of mine.
    Tracy

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths. ~Author Unknown

I make about 95% of my flies although I'm starting to get a pretty good size collection from the swap's here at FAOL. I do buy a few once in while like pattern's I haven't used before or when I just plan don't have the one's I need and should have brought like on a trip. I think some I buy catch me more than they catch fish. A well done fly pattern is an art all it's own.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by D. Micus View Post
    100% Always struck me as ironic that salt water flies are the easiest to tie but are the most expensive. $5 is a lot to pay for a fly only to have blue fish chomp them off...
    So I can get you to tye up a dozen each Clousers and Deceivers for that? Or is there are discount for volume orders?

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...cus/091905.php

Dave, It's GREAT to see you back!

Ed

Unhappy

I gave up tying many years ago. I was so bad at it that it wasn't any fun. So... I fish 0% of the time with flies I tie.

Bass_Bug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
    Probably 100% when it is trout fishing, maybe 20% or less when fishing for sunfish or bass.

I love tying, but draw the line at flies that take more than 10 minutes or so. When the day comes that I start molding my own plastic worms or carving my own plugs to save $5, I may consider spending hours making poppers and the like.

I'd say 75% are mine, 20% flies from swaps, the rest store bought (most for a pattern to tie off of, but some I buy that look like a productive fly, but may be too complictaed to tie myself. (i.e. some hopper patterns etc.).

Bam, My average bass flies take at least 15 min each, but doing a dozen production line, makes them oevr all process per fly go faster. I was actualy carving my own crankbaits and making my own inline spinners lures and maki9ngt them for a fraction of the cost, before I crossed over from the Dark side. Like any other fly style though, once you get proficient at tying it, you can tie them 'relatively' quickly.

+ Reply to Thread