+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northern Virginia Flyfishing question

Default Northern Virginia Flyfishing question

hello
    can you give me any information about fishing in northern vorginia? I live in Prince Willian County, City of Manassas, VA.
    Thanks

I'm certainly no expert to VA waters, but a good reference is a DeLorme topo book map of the state. Absolutely invaluable! Shows and locates many streams that would be overlooked on conventional maps. I live in S.MD., but really enjoy the waters of the Shenandoah National Park. Another good reference is Harry Murray's book on VA waters. He has a shop in Edinburg. North of Harrisonburg along the north branch of the Shandendoah. He will be at the fly fishing show in College Park, MD in Jan. You are in a good geographical location to be able to hit some good water without a lengthy haul. I've seen some other posts from VA fishers who can be more specific. Hope sometime to meet on a stream. Cheers, Mike K.

------------------
    Live each day as if it were your last, some day you'll be right!
    Eternal decisions can only be made on this side of eternity.

thanks for the really fast answer
    I recently moved here from Europe, and I don't have a clue about what are the fishing possibilities in my area, thats why I asked here. I mainly fish for trout, with flies only, and I hope one day we can meet on a clear creek and talk about flies, trouts and dreams

------------------
    I don't know if I will reach heaven, but if so, please God, let my heaven be a trout-filled stream...

I just want to ask something else about the Shenadoah area. What type ar this rivers, small, large, rapid, and what rod lenght would it be necessary for fishing there?
    Also, what about fishing permits for non-residents? Thanks

------------------
    God Grant that I may live to fish until my dying day, And when it comes to my last cast
    I most humbly pray, When in the Lord's safe landing net I'm peacefully asleep,That in His mercy I be judged, As big enough to keep.

Muscarul I'm not much on trout but for warmwater crappie and bluegill I would greatly enjoy the company any time, starting in late march or early april. Or even now just tying to get ready for spring.

Doug

Man, I really like this bulletin board. You drop a question, and there is plenty of guys willing to help you... now that is what I call flyfisherman's solidarity, regardless of origin . Thank you guys, I really appreciate your help.

Now... regardig my trout fishing desire...
    I said I am interrested in trout fishing cause this is the only fish I find both here in the US and in Romania, my home country. We don't have there largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, crappie etc. We have carp though, really big carp, but we don't flyfish it much. So, if I can flyfish it, almost every species of fish is good for me.
    Who knows, perhaps we will meet one day on a stream and exchange patterns or something
    FLY4IT - I don't have any fishing tackle or flytying tools and materials because I just came in the US, but as soon I will get 'em, I will be more than glad to meet and fish/tie togheter.

Thank you again for your help

------------------
    God Grant that I may live to fish until my dying day, And when it comes to my last cast
    I most humbly pray, When in the Lord's safe landing net I'm peacefully asleep,That in His mercy I be judged, As big enough to keep.

I was stationed in Wash DC and lived in Woodbridge some time ago. I fished the Potomac on my lunch hour and caught crappie, bass, channel cats and sunfish. In fact the biggest crappie I have ever caught came out of the tidal basin in downtown DC. As I was in the military, I had access to the marine base at Quantico and the Army installation at AP Hill. There are a lot of impoundments on these installations that have crappie, blugill, bass and pickeral, but I don't know if a civilian can gain access to them. It is something you would have to check. Also fished the Rappahonock near Fredriskburg, VA and caught many type of warm water fish to include carp, crappie and smallmouth.

But like I said that was a few years back and I am sure somebody can give you more info than I - but I would look into those military installations. They were great fishing.

Tim Anderson

Muscarul,
    Non-resident liscenses are easy to come by. If you were to get on I-66 and head west, you'd be at Front Royal,VA in less than an hour. Northern entrance to the National Park. They have trail maps/guides to assist throughout the park system. Streams vary regarding gradient throughout. The Shenandoah River has a nice current flow - on the west side of the Blue Ridge good area for smallmouth bass. Many good shops, one comes to mind if you find your way towards DC. Anglers Lie, on Glebe Rd. in Arlington,VA. They can/will help with tackle as well as where to go. Don't know how long you'll be in the area, but would highly recommend the fly fishing show in January at College Park. Go to [url=http://www.FlyFishingShow.com:28a3c]www.FlyFishingShow.com[/url:28a3c] for times and directions. Many many folks there that can help with info. If you're looking for trout, head for the hills...anything else, drop me a note on my personal address. Best regards, Mike K.

------------------
    Live each day as if it were your last, some day you'll be right!
    Eternal decisions can only be made on this side of eternity.

Do get the DeLorme. There are also a couple of good books on Virginia streams that shoul dbe in the region's fly shops. From where you are, you are within a couple of hours of trout fishing in the streams that come off the east slope of the mountains in Madison County. (Hughes, Raipdan, Conway, Rose, etc) You are also close to Passage Creek, a delayed harvest stream near Front Royal. Just south of you is the Rappahannock River, good for smallmouth and, in season, shad.

Muscarul,

Go to this site for info on trout stockings. The new information is available every day after 4:00 PM and you can check previous stocking information too. The site also has all kinds of information and you can purchase hunting/fishing/etc. licenses at this site and print them out at home. Get my licenses and print them on heavy stock photo paper.
    [url=http://www.dgif.state.va.us/fishing/stock/troutstock.cfm:3e1bc]http://www.dgif.state.va.us/fishing/stock/troutstock.cfm[/url:3e1bc]

leave off the last part after "us" and it'll take you to the main site. Or you can access the rest of the Fish & Game site from the stocking info area. If I remember correctly, there used to be a stocked trout stream in Prince William Park. They're are several other fishing opportunities within a reasonable driving distance from Manassas too. Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread