+ Reply to Thread

Thread: White Ghost - Old flies - August 17, 2009

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default White Ghost - Old flies - August 17, 2009

White Ghost

"I should reiterate that these flies are not the least bit difficult. I would encourage you to try some Carrie Stevens streamers, they're fun to tie and with a little patience and material selection up front, they'll turn out fine" - Eric

Thumbs up Thank You Eric, Well Done!

Eric:

You are a exceptional dresser of the old fly patterns, and all your articles for Just Old Flies and stuff" have been terrific. Yet "The White Ghost" article struck out a new direction, away from the previous articles of "Just Old Flies and stuff.

The "Step by Step Instructions" for "The Grey Ghost" shows that many of these old patterns are not that difficult to dress. Encouraging the average tier to attempt dressing some hooks with the pattern and being successful in their efforts.

Again "Thank You" for sharing you deep wealth of knowledge on these long neglected fly patterns. There is no excuse that they are not commonly found in use on the waters and streams. ~Parnelli

Hi Eric,

As above, the step by step sequence that you wrote for this article is excellent. I appreciate the photos as well. With the good close up photos and writing, the tying in general, and also some of the fine points which make for a graceful job are fairly clear and very helpful.

At any rate: three cheers, nice job and thank you!

I do have a couple of questions, however. It looks like you glue up the wing assemblies, as my reading indicates that Carrie Stevens used to do. What type of glue do you use for this step, and could you give any pointers on this step?

The second question is: do you ever fish the Carrie Stevens classic patterns? I have fished them to a very limited extent, but tend to enjoy tying them more than fishing them. When I fish a streamer it is more likely to be a bugger, an hackleless bugger, or a bucktail wing streamer. Any thoughts on fishing these classic patterns?

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

+ Reply to Thread