+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FLY FISHING ETTIQUETTE - Eye of the guide - August 17, 2009

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default FLY FISHING ETTIQUETTE - Eye of the guide - August 17, 2009

FLY FISHING ETTIQUETTE

Tom Travis covers some simple rules to live by. A must read for those starting out and a great reminder for the old timers.

Default Re: Fly Fishing Etiquette

Lots of good guide lines in this article. However, a person can't fish at any of the Missouri trout parks and be able to stay 100 feet away from all the other fly fishers. There are just too many of us out there at one time. One more reason (excuse) to do a Montana fishing trip.
    Last edited by patglo; 08-18-2009 at 05:25 AM.

I really enjoyed the article. There is only one thing I think I would add. If you see me out there, stay out from behind me or instead of hungNtree I'll be called hungNfellowangler. or on second thought, maybe that shoulf be for another article on fly fishing safety. Oh, and by the way, welcome to FAOL patglo!

hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Question Question of sharing?

I enjoyed the Fly fishing ettiquette article. However, I am concerned about when to offer advise on fly fishing. Many have offered advise as I was learning to fly fish in my 30's and I freely offer advise when asked. I also pass on a fly or two that are "hitting" to someone having a poor day as this has been for me in the past. Is this inapproporate? I always figured a little advise can be ignored or appreciated. Ron G.

Blog Entries

Good article. I have some of my own opinions, however:

The personal space distance needs to vary with the water. Some waters, even in the west, are pretty crowded and distances between anglers can get very low. On the San Juan in New Mexico, for instance, your personal space is likely to be the water between you and the trout you are trying to catch, with people just above and below and across from you in the same run. On the other hand, if I am fishing a mountain stream here in Colorado, and get within a quarter mile of another angler, I might feel I am too close. And if I am on a big river, and no one else is fishing within sight of me, I feel that a hundred yards is too close if it is, say, two miles to the next angler. Split the difference between anglers not obviously fishing together and you will generally not be crowding someone. Don't fish in the same run as another angler unless there is no way that you are going to interfere with his fishing in the near future (for instance, if the river is 300 feet wide and you are on the other shore). Don't go into the river in front of someone who is obviously fishing in a specific direction.

I have a pet peeve about cigars and pipes on the water, as well. I do not smoke, and my father is chairbound and on oxygen because he smoked most of his life. I do not enjoy, AT ALL, the smell of tobacco smoke. So when the next guy on the water lights up his stogie and starts puffing clouds downwind at me, I get offended, and almost always leave. Basically, it ruins the pleasure I get by being out on the water in the (formerly) fresh air. Respect the feelings (and health) of the other people on the water.

As for offering advice, if I am fishing on a river and someone comes up and tells me "you ought to be...", or whips out a fly and says something like "This is the fly to use here!" I get really annoyed. If I want to know what fly you are using, I will ask, as politely as I can. If someone doesn't directly ASK for advice, I do not offer it, and I wish all others would show me the same courtesy. And I believe that any angler has the right to NOT tell what fly he is catching fish on, if he so desires.

And pick up your trash! Someday I am going to make someone EAT a beer can. *S*

Tight lines, and peaceful days on the water.

Dennis

Rant over

Default Unranting...then ranting.

Dennis,

I agree that Colorado waters allow for spacing, although it can get relative tight on the Frying Pan (say 60' apart) or at the hog trough on the Taylor.
    But I disagree about telling what fly you are using.
    If someone on the water is tearing them up and I'm getting skunked, I'm going to be grateful for unsolicited advice. I have even been given a fly by a fellow fisherman that saved my day.
    On the other hand, what chaffes me royally is the guy that is tearing them up, not close to me, and refuses to let me in on the secret when I ask politely. I'm not asking for his first born, just the pattern that the fish are hitting. Not like I'm going to take his fish, either.

7. Default fly fishing ettiquette

Excellent article --- a must read for all fly fishermen.

Smile Fishing for preferences

I think I would rather fish with Mr. Molcsan, Coach Bob, or Uncle Jesse--sound like really kindly gentlemen. I really do hope Mr. DG's dental problem is solved.
    ggh

+ Reply to Thread