I agree wholeheartedly with the article. I teach fly casting and my philosophy is to give students a solid foundation upon which they can build. I tell them that if they can get the fly from Point A to Point B and it results in a hookup, then everything is good.

I had two students several years ago who want to learn how to cast. One was a local real estate mogul and the other was her boyfriend. Neither was much of an angler with any tackle. I asked them why the sudden interest in fly casting. "We're going to the Keys next week to fly fish for bonefish," one said matter of factly.

Hmmmm. Good luck, I thought.

There's a distinc dfiference between fly casting and fly fishing. Of course, you have to learn how to deliver the fly before you can begin fishing. But I've seen some great casters who were clueless when it came to fishing. Fly fishing is a whole nother world.

I get quite a few anglers from around the country who tell me they've been fly fishing all their life. But when we go out, they have a very difficult time mustering 25 or 30 feet. Most don't have the necessary skills to succeed. Add wind and it's almost impossible.

I don't care how they cast -- if they can put the fly where it needs to be. Reminds me of a time years ago when I showed up at the golf course and they paired me with an old guy. I watched his hideous swing and figured I'd win some money. It was one of the worst swings I've ever seen. But when the clubhead met the ball, it was square. And he hit it long and straight down the middle. I got my clock cleaned by a guy with a terrible swing.

I always tell me students that success is directly proportional to the amount of time, effort and interest they put into the endeavor. If they want to succeed, they probably will.