+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FLY CASTING VS FLY FISHING - Neil Travis - August 17, 2009

Blog Entries

Default FLY CASTING VS FLY FISHING - Neil Travis - August 17, 2009

FLY CASTING VS FLY FISHING

Neil talks about the difference between casting and fishing, and why being good at one does not necessarily mean being good at the other.

Nice article, Neil.

Nothing brings you back down to Earth about teaching fly casting like teaching the disabled and kids. They are singular in their objective: let's get this stuff down quickly so we can go catch fish! It also constantly reminds you to keep your "stuff" boiled down to its simplest form. And to stay student-focused, instead of falling victim to the drift into process focus or self-absorbtion that so often turn good coaches into bad ones.

I have a pretty strong grasp of physics, biomechanics, kinesiology, and such. But few things bore me quite so quickly as a passionate debate about what makes a triangular point on a forward cast, or how much "delayed rotation" should be applied to the "perfect" double-haul.

But I can really get into a good discussion about where the biggest trout hang out in the river, or fluorocarbon vs. nylon mono tippet: does it matter! I can listen for hours to salty dog fly fishermen discussing their flats tactics.

So I really enjoyed reading your perspective on the proper place of fly casting in the grand scheme of the cosmos this morning.

?Fly casting is nothing more than getting the fly from where you are to where the fish are. If you can do that consistently you are a successful fly caster."

Made my day! Maybe I am a successful caster, ugly as they are.
    Thanks,

Rick

Now I really enjoyed this article. I am not one to sit through and read articles online, not much a big reader, but I found this one to be so true.

When I first decided to start fly fishing, a couple of years ago, I was so hung up on getting a long distance and not technique and presentation. Then realized getting the distance wasn't catching any fish. I had to concentrate on my presentation and other casting techniques to be successful.

Once I started to learn the more finesse aspect of fly fishing, getting to the fish, then presenting the fly in the proper manner, my catch rate started to really improve big time!

Thanks for the very enlightening article, I enjoyed it.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

"Fly casting is nothing more than getting the fly from where you are to where the fish are. If you can do that consistently you are a successful fly caster!"

Dee ... I think I love your husband!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I really enjoyed the article. It got me to thinking about the whole picture of fly fishing/casting. When I gave up the tournament bass fishing thing, after 30 years, I picked up a fly rod and went to the river where I found my love for fishing again. I have always fished for as long as I can remember and I really enjoy getting away from the "world" and just fish. Tournament fishing took the "joy" and "fun" out of my fishing and the crowded lakes took my desire to fish away. It seemed like all I ever did was "hunt" for bass and see what pattern they were on so that I could do well in the next tournament. When I sold my bass boat my wife told me that I would go crazy if I did not do some sort of fishing and a friend of mine told me to go buy a fly rod and go to the river. I bought a Wal-Mart special and a handful of flies and went to the river. Never casted a fly rod in my life and was not the least bit worried about that. I just wanted to go fishing and enjoy the day. After getting away from everyone, so I would not be the entertainment for everyone who knew what they were doing, I started playing with the fly rod to see what it wanted me to do so that I could get the store bought flies where I wanted them. I started off with a grasshopper fly and by the end of the day, I had caught my limit and was a happy fisherman. From that day to now, I never give casting a second thought ( and my casting shows it!). I just fish and I can get the flies to go where I want them and can mend line as needed and seem to do everything well enough to catch fish and that is my main goal. Now I tie my own flies, teach the basic techniques of fly tying in classes and have met some great fly fishermen/ladies while fishing and tying. Fly fishing is a wonderful and relaxing sport and I love it. I just noticed that I am rambling and that was not my intentions and I apologize.

My main thought after reading this article is that maybe we need to take new comers to this sport fishing first and casting second. Once they see the importance of better casting, it will give them the desire to learn better casting. I have met and talked to so many people who said they have thought about taking up fly fishing, but, did not think they could get the "hang" of the casting. So many people feel you do a lot of casting with fly fishing and this is caused by all the videos they watch and see a lot of "rod waving" while fishing. No one explains to them why that particular video shows a lot of false casting because the person is dry fly fishing and is removing the water from the fly so it will float better. Once I explain that, it seems to make better sense to them. I honestly feel that we need to take the new person to a pond somewhere and just turn them lose. Let them figure out what they need to do with the rod to get the fly where they want it. Let them come to you and ask how you are able to put the fly where you want it easier than they can which results in more fish caught. When they have the desire to learn better casting to improve their "catching", they will be better students and learn faster because they want to get back to fishing with a fly rod.

Sorry for the long post....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Blog Entries

I agree wholeheartedly with the article. I teach fly casting and my philosophy is to give students a solid foundation upon which they can build. I tell them that if they can get the fly from Point A to Point B and it results in a hookup, then everything is good.

I had two students several years ago who want to learn how to cast. One was a local real estate mogul and the other was her boyfriend. Neither was much of an angler with any tackle. I asked them why the sudden interest in fly casting. "We're going to the Keys next week to fly fish for bonefish," one said matter of factly.

Hmmmm. Good luck, I thought.

There's a distinc dfiference between fly casting and fly fishing. Of course, you have to learn how to deliver the fly before you can begin fishing. But I've seen some great casters who were clueless when it came to fishing. Fly fishing is a whole nother world.

I get quite a few anglers from around the country who tell me they've been fly fishing all their life. But when we go out, they have a very difficult time mustering 25 or 30 feet. Most don't have the necessary skills to succeed. Add wind and it's almost impossible.

I don't care how they cast -- if they can put the fly where it needs to be. Reminds me of a time years ago when I showed up at the golf course and they paired me with an old guy. I watched his hideous swing and figured I'd win some money. It was one of the worst swings I've ever seen. But when the clubhead met the ball, it was square. And he hit it long and straight down the middle. I got my clock cleaned by a guy with a terrible swing.

I always tell me students that success is directly proportional to the amount of time, effort and interest they put into the endeavor. If they want to succeed, they probably will.
    Steve

"I can double haul, but I rarely do. I still drop my back cast occasionally, tail my loops, tie neat knots in my leaders while casting, and all those other casting no no’s that cause casting instructors to develop gray hair, but somehow I manage to catch my share of the fish and have a heck of a good time doing it. At the end of the day I think that’s what fly fishing is all about."

Couldn't agree more.

Although we all strive to improve, in the end, if you have a fish at hand, you've done something right.

But - gak ! ...... sounded like you were describing my casting ..... (ok, I'm still on a frequent basis with casting knots, and dropped backcasts)

Default Fly Casting vs. Fly Fishing

Very well said, sir. You inspired some memories, for which I thank you.

My dear old Grandpa was an extraordinary fly fisherman. His casting skills were functionally very practical but not fancy and he caught fish more than anyone I've since met because he knew trout, and trout water. Any time I was there to watch I don't believe I ever saw him cast more than 20 or 30 feet. He was gifted in that his job allowed him quite a range of travel and his car was never absent his fly rod. He was able, after a quick bout of business, to spend hours fishing his way back to the house, or the hotel, and all of eastern Idaho and western Montana were his playground. He particularly loved the Madison River.

I miss him dearly.

Yep.
    That's why I don't put too much stock in the details.
    If you can manage to catch a fish or two, that was the purpose to picking up the rod. The rest is just so much fluff.
    I really don't go catching, but I do love to go fishing.
    Mostly I love to help others catch fish.
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

+ Reply to Thread