+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please critique this fly...

Hybrid View

Default Please critique this fly...

I was just playing around with an idea I had and ended up with this fly. The hook is a Mustad 94831 in size 8 and where the eyes are there is a 7/64" or 2.8mm tungsten bead. I painted the eyes on with fabric paint using yellow and then black for the center and then put 3 coats of Sally Hanson over it. Hopefully, I will get a chance to see if the fish like it and how it will respond in the water. I need your professional opinion on what you think, good or bad, before I tie up any more. Thanks in advance...

Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
    I was just playing around with an idea I had and ended up with this fly. The hook is a Mustad 94831 in size 8 and where the eyes are there is a 7/64" or 2.8mm tungsten bead. I painted the eyes on with fabric paint using yellow and then black for the center and then put 3 coats of Sally Hanson over it. Hopefully, I will get a chance to see if the fish like it and how it will respond in the water. I need your professional opinion on what you think, good or bad, before I tie up any more. Thanks in advance...

Mickey Finns work, this should too. Nice looking fly. Did you mainly tie it up for, trout, bass????????????
    This could be a great forage imitation.

Mojo,

My main target to try first will be trout. Our rivers here have a lot of young fry in them right now and I wanted to make a small streamer but wanted to weight it also and that is why I put the tungsten bead in. The bead is tied in about 1/8" behind the eye similiar to a Clouser. I like Clousers for bass but I did not want this streamer to be very large nor heavy this made for a small profile fly and the tungsten allowed me to keep it all small. Hopefully, I will get to try it out tomorrow or Monday for sure.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I agree with Mojo. I like it alot. It should do well. Do you think it will ride upside down with the barbell; that will put the lightside up and the brown side down. That may or may not be important. The fishies will let you know. Thanks for the tie, Warren.

mcsteff,

"Do you think it will ride upside down with the barbell"

Since I used a tungsten bead instead of a barbell, I am hoping it will ride hook down as the picture shows. If it does not, then I will tie some up and reverse the colors. I will know more after I get it in the water.

Thanks for your input....
    Warren

It is nicely made. However, I feel the red "gill" section is too wide and is tied too far back. Bigger eyeballs would attract even better. My 3 cents..

Nice pattern

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post

It looks like it will catch fish. Tie up a couple more and give it a good workout. Let us khow how it does. You make it very clear that you used a bead with the eyes painted on it. I'm not sure why some people think that it has barbell eyes.

My impressionable opinion is, it would catch fish. I like it. I think I'll try a few with olive as a top color as a bass fry. Looks real good.

Kirk

I really appreciate all the constructive reviews on this fly and I have made a couple more up and I tied one up with a narrower red band and larger eyes which were suggested by "flymaker2" and enclosed a picture of it. Once again, there is a tungsten bead incorporated into the head of the fly and the eyes are painted on the bead. It is not a barbell eye so the fly should not turn over and ride hook up. We will see after I get a chance to try it out on the river. My main goal was to create a smaller streamer that would come closer to matching the small fry which are in the rivers here at the present time plus I wanted it to go deeper faster and that is the purpose of the 2.8mm tungsten bead incorporated into the head of the fly. I am also hoping that the smaller size will cast better on my 4 weight. I do appreciate the suggestions from all you fly tyers.

Warren

the fly will ride with the hook point up the way you have it tied which is good, just flip the colors
    try yellow and black great color for trout

+ Reply to Thread