[QUOTE=WarrenP;313011]Well I got up this morning and there was a wind blowing which tells me that we do have a front of some kind coming through today. Around noon the sky was very dark and it looked like it could start raining at any time, but, I decided I had to try the flies (I tied up 5) somewhere to see what they did in the water. Not wanting to drive the 22 miles to the best trout water on the Elk River and getting rained out, I chose to go to the Duck River, which is only about 12 miles, and that way I could be close to the truck if the weather turned bad. The Duck is running about 70 degrees so I did not expect to find any trout. As I drove to the Duck there were a few drops of rain falling on the windshield but I drove on and when I got to the Duck there were already some people fishing where I wanted to try the flies so I drove up to the boat ram on Normandy Lake and decided to see how the fly worked. I tied on the last fly I posted a picture of and dropped it in the water to see if it turned over or rode hook down. As...

Warren...

The fly looks great....just fine.

I've also have heard about down vs. up turned eyes influencing how the hook rides, but still haven't really confirmed it all.
Is there a possibility that the wing you've made (looks like bucktail) is too thick, making the hook ride up? Maybe, thin it out a little or spread it around the hook evenly?

My mentor always said ( and I DO believe it): "EVERY fly, WILL catch a fish....it's just a matter of when."

Keep tying and enjoy!

Cheers,
Larry

PS
Oh, and if you're going to use krystal flash or hurl, a little goes a long way!