Thread: Please critique this fly...

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
    Thanks, flymaker2, your comments are appreciated. Hopefully, tomorrow, we will see how it reacts to river currents and see if we can get some feedback from a fish!
    You are welcome WarrenP. So to capture all the critiques given so far: Keep the narrow red gill band, bigger eyes, and then return to the sparse tie of the original image and then add a little flash to taste. The hurl on the back is always a good idea on bait batterns IMO. Doesn't take much to get the contrast. You could try the pattern with no flash, then a tye with one strand and another with hurl and a few strands. By the time you are done you'll have a pattern worth repeating! Good luck and have fun..

Edit:

Saw the report. Nice going: I feel the reason that the fly turned upside down is because you are using a hook with a downturned eye. Think about it. Streamers are best tied with upturned hook eyes. Orvis makes streamer hooks with the hook eye vertical. I like these and use them too. My favorite streamer hooks are from Galic Supreme which have a slightly upturned eye. Owner makes some good hooks with upturned eyes. Try a new hook style before re-inventing the pattern that seems to be working for you. Just my 3 cents again..

Cool pics!..
    Last edited by flymaker2; 08-18-2009 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Just saw the fishing report