+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have I been stiffed???

Default Have I been stiffed???

I really hate doing this, but it looks like I've been had in the Buy, Sell & Trade forum. Back on 07/13, I purchased 29 soft hackles from Fly Tyer for $32, via paypal. I was told the flies were being put in the mail 07/16.....it's now 08/14 and I have not received them. I know he's in Newfoundland and I'm in NY...but a month is crazy. I've sent PM's asking if they were shipped...even when I saw he was on-line (today) and have received no response. I'm hoping he sees this and responds in some way. This is a first for me here.....I guess one lives and learns.

Ken
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

Uh...... being a Yank that lives in Canada... I'm guessing that instead of being stiffed, you have the border to thank. Shipping flies across the border can be problematic at the very least. Customs will either slow it down a lot OR just pull them outright. I'm very fortunate because I have a US address I send all my US purchases to and my Canadian purchased go directly to my Canadian address. So before thinking and saying some guy stiffed you... you may want to consider the bigger stumbling block....the border.

If you do cross border shopping by mail you need to know what your doing and what you may come up against. It may just show up...three months from now.
    I regularly transport flies across the border for posting to US customers for a friend of mine, just so this sort of thing doesn't happen.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Have not purchased from this fine gent myself, but I have heard nothing but good things about him.

My guess is like the other response.. Noticed he was sending a pm and I bet I know just to who...

Take care..

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 08-14-2009 at 08:55 PM.
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Blog Entries

I just sent some tying materials to Australia. The little space on the customs label where you put the contents of the package was clearly filled in with the specific items in the package. Took less time to get there than it takes my phone bill to get to the phone company.

That being said, he has your $ and you do not have your flies, so I would be wondering where the flies were too. Even if customs is at fault, he did not fulfill he part of the contract.

Why no reply to the pm's?

Bob
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

All,

I just heard from Fly Tyer and everything has been resolved. He says he shipped them....I have no reason NOT to believe him. He offered to refund my money and if the flies ever do arrive, I'll just re-send. Happy ending here, so all is well again. Hope I didn't offend anyone, especially Fly Tyer. Man, I love this place Thanks Phil

Ken
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

I live in California. And believe me, I had wonders and doughts about getting my hackle purchase from Conranch Hackle due to the insane in this State.
    But it came on in nearly instantly from Denny and Liz.
    I was afraid they (The Fruits and Nuts Police) might bag it and hold it in fear of whatever the latest panic is. (Feathers, BIRD FLU! EEK!)
    Even State to State can sometimes be a huge hassle.
    International? A Nightmare!
    Glad it's all fixed.
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

Could be the Border. I send and receive stuff from/to the US from Eastern Canada.

I once sent gear for repairs to NY and CA the same day. The rod got to CA in less than 3 days and the reel took 8 for NY ??

Most times when I do transactions I use UPS of USPS or ExpressPost from my side. They all use tracking numbers, so you can follow the package by internet. The holdups are always at the brokers or a certain mail depot in La Chine Quebec!
    Christopher Chin

I'v had the same happen to me, few years ago i sent some fly tying stuff to a young fellow up north into Canad, it took a while and ended costing me alot more than I thought, I even had to go back to the shipping office and add more money, alot more than I had thought it would... Bit in the end all was happen, but when crossing the border I have learned how you label what it is can add more expense or it not getting there all together...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Must have been a couple years ago, but sent a fly rod, fly reel & spare spool across the border. Only the spare spool was missing when it got to Canada, but couldn't even file a claim for it because Canadian postal service never ended the package tracing. Therefore the US PO wouldn't even send the proper # form to file a claim because the Canadians never finished the package tracing & never submitted another # form. UPS or Fed Ex next time, with the extra $$; or not

+ Reply to Thread