Cool Violators nailed:

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
    Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
    600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/

August 14, 2009

Mike Cenci, (360) 902-2938

Illegal fishing, dry weather conditions threaten fish across the state

OLYMPIA - Despite recent showers, the summer?s prolonged dry weather has left fish vulnerable, including on the Dungeness River, where two anglers were recently caught poaching.

An enforcement officer with the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) cited the anglers for multiple fishing violations, including possession of federally protected wild chinook salmon.

The Dungeness River, which flows through Clallam County to the Strait of Juan de Fuca, is closed to all fishing to protect returning wild chinook, listed as threatened under the Endangered Species Act (ESA).

"These people may not know it, but the two fish they caught represent 10 percent of the wild chinook that have returned so far to the Dungeness, which has also suffered from low flows this summer," said WDFW Sergeant Phillip Henry. "Taking one of these fish is like shooting a bald eagle."

Henry said fines for the offenses could add up for the poachers. Fishing in closed waters carries a maximum penalty of $1,000 and/or 30 days in jail. The maximum penalty for snagging alone is $5,000 and/or a year in jail. Snagging is an attempt to take fish with a hook and line in such a way that the fish does not voluntarily take the bait in its mouth. In addition, the two may face federal charges for taking protected fish.

WDFW is also stepping up enforcement patrols on other rivers in the state during the summer?s peak season, Henry said. On a recent patrol of the Skokomish River in Mason County, WDFW enforcement officers issued more than 50 citations for a variety of violations, including snagging, over-limits and fishing without a license.

"Poaching is an annual issue, but with most of Washington experiencing the hottest and driest summer in years, low water levels are making fish more vulnerable to snagging and other illegal activities," Henry said. "We appreciate that most anglers follow the rules and hope others will act responsibly as well."
    Henry asks that anyone who witnesses poaching violations to call WDFW?s confidential toll-free Poaching Hotline at (877) 933-9847.

The same weather conditions are causing additional problems for fish in other parts of the state. Low flows and elevated water temperatures forced the early closure of salmon fishing on Lake Wenatchee, where returning sockeye were experiencing high mortality rates.

At the Fallert Creek Hatchery on the Kalama River, where surface water temperatures were elevated during the state?s recent heat wave, about 135,000 summer and winter steelhead - 96 percent of the facility?s steelhead - died after being infected by a parasite that grows rapidly in warm water. Elsewhere, about 200,000 coho salmon - 12 percent of the coho at the Washougal Hatchery - died from a bacterial infection after water temperatures reached 80 degrees at the facility.

Rock dams built by campers to create swimming areas in streams, also pose real problems for salmon and other migrating fish at this time of year, said Perry Harvester, a WDFW fish biologist.

Each year, WDFW staff dismantles dozens of these so-called "recreational dams," which can block passage to salmon, steelhead and bulltrout moving upstream to spawn, Harvester said. In Yakima County, where Harvester is based, the problem is especially acute near campgrounds on Rattlesnake and Crow creeks, and the Teanaway River, American River, and the Little Naches River.

"It may seem like innocent fun, but building these makeshift dams can put entire runs of protected fish at risk especially during late summer when many fish begin their spawning runs," he said. "It may be one reason why we?ve seen declining redd (egg-nest) counts for ESA-listed bull trout in some of these streams in recent years.

Harvester noted that building an unauthorized dam of any sort across a river or stream is a violation of the state hydraulics law, which is a gross misdemeanor.

I hate to speak badly of anyone, but I hope these poachers get the maximum fines and jail time. A poacher is a thief that steals from all of us. Hope their snagging gear was confiscated as well.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Not taking up for the 'anglers' in question but sometimes people do things they don't realize is illegal, especially when it comes to fishing.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah "you should know local regs" and all that but things 'just happen' some times.
    I know if I fished out west I wouldn't know what this fish was. But then again I'd probably release it anyway.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah ..................'ignorance is no excuse'.

In our area streams and the like are rarely, if ever "closed". Actually I don't know of any situation like this around here. Might have been an idiot as dumb as me out there 'just fishing' for fun on vacation, ignorant of the situation. Yeah, yeah, yeah 'that is no excuse'. But............
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 08-14-2009 at 09:14 PM.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

I don't know about Washington, but here in Wyoming the fish & regs guide goes into great detail on telling the various fish apart.

The same with the Yellowstone regulations guide. Thanks for the report!

Blog Entries

Angry

If you can read, you have no excuse for not following the regulations. And if you can see the pictures, most states with similar fish have them in the drawings or paintings in the regs. Chinook salmon are not hard to identify, I could do it when I was a little kid.

I met someone last fall who was violating a reg that had been in place for years. When I asked if they had a copy of the regulations, they said they had one "at home". When I asked if they had READ the regulations, they said they had glanced at them, but since "nothing ever changed" they had not read them thoroughly. I wrote him the ticket. There is NO EXCUSE for not acquiring and reading the regulations.

Admittedly, Washington has some of the most confusing and arcane regs in the free world. River is open from a to B, closed from B to C, open C to D, closed D to E.... But it doesn't take a genius to open a book arranged alphabetically, go the the name of a river, and read "closed to the taking of wild chinook salmon".

I've NEVER bought into the ignorance plea. They knew full well what they were doing.
    I hope they send them back to (pick a country) after they wring as much fines as the law allows and jail time they can give out of these pieces of excrement.

Or they could just shoot them and they won't ever be repeat offenders...

Hang Em High!
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

Lightbulb

"confiscate their snagging gear..."
    I hope the law there includes gear as the vehicle they used and the house from which they planned their illegal activities!!!

Ignorance is not an excuse.

2 weeks ago a couple "innocently" were illegally fishing on my home waters. I just parked my trailer blocking the exit from the pull out then drove down to town ... got the provincial police and the Wardens.

I guess I'll have to go back to testify in court, but it's worth it! (and I credit a half day of Guiding back to the clients who had to wait 3 hours for all this to get straightened out).
    Christopher Chin

Its obvious that most of you have never had the dubious pleasure of trying to fish for salmon in Washington state. Reading the rules in the nearly half inch thick 8 1/2 by 11 regulation book does not tell you what is legal when fishing for salmon... even though there are salmon regulations published in the book. The rules for salmon are set after meetings with federal governments (notice the plural), US federal advisory boards, multiple states, and a number of treaty tribes. All of that of after spring stock assesments and after the state publishes their tome of infamy. Actual salmon fishing regulations are published in newspapers, the WDFW web site, and the telephone hot line. In dicey years of low returns the regulations are so fluid that it is advisable to call the hot line before leaving home, and then hope they don't change things while fishing. Its not as easy as you think and there are thousands of fishers that have given up in disgust. Fishing activists have been working for decades to get the system simplified, and while things have improved, it sure wasn't fixed when I finally gave up.

Granted these guys were probably poaching with full knowledge of what they were doing. We don't know though. There have been cases of over zealous persecution by the fish cops, and its easy to understand their frustration. Poaching salmon is a continuing aggravation to them. Partly because there are still lots of restaurants that will buy fish at the back door and partly because a lot of judges are loath to hand out meaningful punishment for mere wildlife violations.

Larry

Default Oh, Larrryyy...

Do you mean to tell me there are places in Washington State that actually ALLOW snagging of fish?
    No matter how screwed up Washington's bureaucracy might be (And believe me I understand), I cannot in anyway find any room for sympathy for poachers.
    My Daughter, Son-In-Law, and 5 Grand kids live in Port Orchard. (And a great grand son due to hatch any second. )
    I've seen the salmon running and resting in the creeks during the runs, and the dead after the runs. Including places John Q. Public is not allowed.
    You could have practically walked on their backs.
    If ever in dought, one could always phone or ask.
    There is no excuse for poaching.
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

I cry big salty tears for them. Wha Wha Wha.
    If you can't read, you can probably speak. Ask a local shop where is legal.

That being said, I must admit to my own transgression. I when fishing out of state in an area that I occaisionally fish that time of year. I thought the season for keeping fish ended Sept. 30th. It ended Sept 15th. I took one for the pan and when I got home I realized my mistake. I felt real bad about it. I won't let it happen again. From now on its read the book if there is ANY question at all.

jed

+ Reply to Thread