Closed Thread

Thread: New air for float tubes...

Hybrid View

Default New air for float tubes...

I do not own a float tube but I know a lot of fly fishermen that do and they are constantly adjusting the air pressure in the tubes due to heat and cold. Since the latest rage is replacing the air in your vehicle tires with nitrogen which is suppose to be less affected by temperture changes, I was wondering if anyone has tried replacing the air in their float tubes with nitrogen and if there would even be any advantages to doing this. Just a thought and nothing more.....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Interesting. But I have Bladdereless or have had Urethane and they aren't effected as much by Altitude or temp.

First off I hardly ever have significant adjustments....

Sorry I can't remember the details but the nitrogen thing in tires I've read about had as many cons as pros...maybe more

One that stood out was cost...doubt inflatable people want to go there...

And ,Warren, these are my thoughts and nothing more...

Blog Entries

Last time I checked, nitrogen followed the same set of physical laws as air, which is, after all, mostly nitrogen anyway. Sounds way too much like a gimmick to me.

PV=nrT (although neither air nor straight N2 is an ideal gas, it is close enough)

I definitely see temperature and pressure issues. I live at 5700 feet (80% of sea level pressure) and typically fish above 10,000 feet (~65% of sea level pressure), so the (over)pressure difference in a toon bladder is substantial. I always make my buddy John deflate his tube a bit before we leave the house, and he always says "Oh, it won't matter much", and I make him do it anyway. We get to the lake and it is twangy tight...

And it might be 120 in the back of the truck on a sunny day, with the toon coming out of 40 degree water, so it gets deflated when it goes in the truck every time.

I CAN see that using nitrogen instead of exhaled breath, which is what most of us end up putting in our tubes and toons at some point, would prevent buildup of moisture inside the toon, along with all the other stuff in our breath like bacteria and such that might get icky after a while.
    Last edited by DG; 08-14-2009 at 08:26 AM.

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    I CAN see that using nitrogen instead of exhaled breath, which is what most of us end up putting in our tubes and toons at some point, would prevent buildup of moisture inside the toon, along with all the other stuff in our breath like bacteria and such that might get icky after a while.
    my toon is not a pool toy

how many toons get inflated by exhaled breath

i'll stick to using my new high velocity pump and top it off with a hand pump

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    my toon is not a pool toy

how many toons get inflated by exhaled breath

i'll stick to using my new high velocity pump and top it off with a hand pump

DITTO! Norm

The major element component of air is Nitrogen---78%.

I think the difference in expansion characteristics is diminimus.
    Max

Default Bad air

OK, so they left the regular old air in the "empty" tire before they put the N2 in. Seems to me that trapped a whole tire's volume worth (percentage wise) of oxygen and a few dozen other pure and compound gases in there.

I'd make them suck it out or give you your money back.

Jim

Anyone know what types of volatiles outgas from rubber?

Didn't charge me, Jim. It's free when you get your tires at Costco.
    I do know that they run cooler than any other tires have. I credit that to the nitrogen, since all the other tires had compressed air in them.
    And I don't know about you, but my tires get me to distant fishing spots.
    Ones where I can blow up my inflatables with air and float around.
    It's a beautiful thing!
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

Closed Thread