+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wading boots

Default wading boots

I'm new to fly fishing, but found that I enjoy it very much. I plan on doing a lot of fly fishinf and figure maybe its time for a good pair of wading boots. The one question I have is.... most of my fishing will be in warm lake water or slow moving streams. I plan on getting a pair of waders in the future for that once a year trip to colorado. The only time I get a little chilly is early in the morning or at night. How do I pick a pair of boots? If I plan on getting waders in the future how should I size my boots? Normal size with a sock or a size larger to accommodate waders?
    David

The rule of thumb is boots should be a size bigger than your shoes. I use that when I'm wearing waders because the booties are usually larger and I'm wearing thick to very thick socks.

When I'm wet wading with a pair of Simms booties/gravel gaurds & a thin liner sock, I go with my regular shoe size. The Simms is 3mm, but fits snuggly.

If you can, go and try different waders and boots. I like Korkers boots because of the ability to change soles.
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

From my experience, I always purchase my wading boots one size larger than my normal shoe size which leaves me plenty of room for the stocking foots waders I use plus an extra pair of socks for winter fishing. If at all possible, I would recommend that you go to a vendor that sells wading boots and try on their boots before buying. Most good vendors will have a "bootie" sock you can slip on before trying on wading boots to make sure that they are not too tight and that the fit is good. For me, I wear a size 8 shoe and purchase my wading boots in a size 9 and everything works great.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I really think you'll have to try 'em on first. Some companies size the boots so ... lets say a size 8 will buy the 8's and the thicker neoprone bootie has been factored in.

I just bought boots and I were a size 9 ... I bought size 9 and they fit even with the thick neoprene feet on my waders. Other makers size as normal, so you have to size up to get the proper fit.

IMHO, you should buy the boots as if you were going to wear neoprene foot waders then wear a thick wool or neoprene sock while wet wading. Or buy two pairs

Oh, ... Welcome to the forum!!!
    Christopher Chin

I was going to say that also. Some companies (Like Orvis) make their wading boots accordingly. So if you wear an 8, you would buy an 8 and they allow for the neoprene.
    But I still recommend trying them on. I also know Orvis has the Neoprene Booties for people to try on wading shoes. I also know that the stores that sell the Simms also has the booties.
    One problem that can come up, is that even when you get the right size waders, the bootie might be a little big. Nice in that you can add more socks in the winter but bad in that you will have to buy the next size up.
    If you are the PERFECT size then everything should be good

I would recommend also, buy the rubber soles and not the felt. Felt is great on slippery rocks but, it also carries some of the unwanted critters and they are slowly being discontinued and some places outlawed.

One last note, I have no choice in that to get waders long enough, I had to go with a bigger size which meant bigger bootie, but I will say, I fish year round. I DON"T wear allot of socks in the cold, but rather one pair of thin light NYLON socks topped with Smart Wool so, my summer socks and winter socks are not that big of a difference. Don't buy with the expectation of wear 5 pair of socks....LOL

Flyfish4troutguy Guest

If you go korkers get two boot sizes up.Especially if you are planning on doing winter steelheading gotta make sure those polar socks fit in there.

I wear the guide boots and they are great, very light.

Default Wading boots

Also, be sure the boots give good ankle and arch support. I bought a pair of Simms Riversheds about 6 mos ago and they were well worth the extra $$. I can now spend twice as much time on the water before getting tired as when I was wearing my old, modestly priced boots.
    JW

Wink

Dblackman, as you are starting to see, you'll get a bit of variety in opinions here. I used this board a lot for advice when I was getting started and I learned to listen to all opinions, then look for either consensus or majority. Just recognize that everybody is doing their best to help.

I've owned 4 sets of wading boots to date. They have varied in their sizing.

I fish year round. In the warm months I mostly wet wade, with just 1-2 pairs of heavy socks to fill out the boots. The fit doesn't bother me much then unless I am hiking a long way in or out, in which case I want the boots to fit like my shoes, snug but not too loose or tight. For shorter hikes, wearing 1 pair of heavy synthetic socks and lacing up as tightly as I can works best.

In the winter, I wear a pair of silk socks covered by heavier wool or synthetic socks.

I researched all of the boot brands I've owned online before buying. Going to a local fly shop to try them on would be even better, but my feet are so big that few shops carry them without a special order. I've found that two of the brands I owned worked best when I ordered my normal show size and two worked best if I went up a size to accommodate the wader bootie.

If you can't find a reco on same or one size up size reco on the manufacturer's website, I guess it is best to go up one size. Bulking up with an extra pair of socks beats removing your longer toes.

Old Frat,
    Im jealous that you live in Colorado. I was there in July Taylor Park area in the Gunnsion national park. It was so beautiful. that is where I tried fly fishing for the first time. I fell in love with Colorado and fly fishing all in the same week and cant wait to get back. I cried a little when we left.

I think what I might end up doing is just buying a cheap pair of boots from Wally world to use when Im not using waders, basically just a pair of shoes I can ruin and not feel bad about. Then when I need to get some waders I will size them with wading boots, Boots and waders probably wont be used much unless I fish all through the winter. which I might.
    Thanks for all the advice
    David

I always figured I could put on some heavier socks easier than dealing with pain or blisters.
    So I never was real fashion conscience about my wading boots, fit was paramount, even if it said 11 or 11.5 instead of something like a 10 or 10.5.
    Now days, shoe size is really crazy. Seems like the world market () can't get it right. And to me, that just sucks. Because it seems you can't just order them, you HAVE to try them on.
    So take a pair of thin cotton socks, and a pair of winter wool socks with you to anywhere you want to try on waders. Then find your personal comfort zone in the waders.
    Wool? Yes wool. Because wool will keep you warm when wet. That might save your life.
    Bear in mind you will be wading in cold or cool waters, but may be walking some distances to reach them.

Personally, I bought a pair of chest waders with what's called stocking feet. Reason being is I intended to use them with a float tube for waters where I can't, or don't want, to take my boat, and needed to be able to fit flippers to my feet.
    Now I'm wondering if that was a good idea, because I need to fit shoes to them for regular wading. And I think I need to get a pair of hip waders with boot feet for the creeks and streams I want to wade. Like I had at your age.
    Because the boot feet won't need gravel guards or aftermarket shoes.
    Won't be long, I think, before I'll not be entering the waters. A fisherman or fisherwoman needs to know their limitations so they don't become fish food, or a pollutant, which in my case is more the likely. Nobody eats skunk!

SAFETY:
    In any event, and whatever fits your needs where you might fish, be aware, be very aware, that if you fall they may make it very hard to rescue yourself. So consider life preserving measures, or at least think about the "What If's" to putting yourself into the moving waters you fish.
    So maybe, when they stop charging such ridiculous prices for them, you might consider one of those self inflating personal flotation devices. Or maybe one of these preserver fishing vests.
    Because I think it would be nice to see you grow to a ripe old age and carry on the tradition of fly fishing.
    Last edited by Sonny Edmonds; 08-15-2009 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Because I'm dumb!
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

+ Reply to Thread