+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gatti rods, any good?

I have two Gatti rods. While I really like the rods, the service concerns if you break one is VERY real. In my over 50 years of fishing, I have broken two rods in my entire life, both were my Gatti rods. I think that one of the downsides of the super light crisp blanks/rods made by Gatti is that they are much more prone to breakage due to the very thin walled construction. They make a great rod but what a royal pain in the butt to deal with them to get anything repaired. I won't ever buy another one just for that reason. Just one man's opinion.

Jim Smith

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Jayatwork View Post
    I have a Gatti 5 wt. TA (fast action) model. It is light and fast just like an Italian sports car. I like it very much.
    The '70 Fiat 124 Spyder was one of the finest little Italian sports cars of its time for design, engineering, performance, and appointments. The car was a delight to drive. When a $15 part went out after four or five months and I was told the part was backordered for three months, I got rid of it.

Sorry if this is a hijack, but it is about an Italian made product with warranty / service issues ??

John
    The fish are always right.

Smile

I have three Gatti rods, a 4wt. PA, a 5wt. PA, and a 6wt. TA. They are about the only rods I use any more. I haven't had any break, and i guess that can be a problem. As far as fishing goes, I really like them.

4. Default

I got fast, quality warranty service from Gatti USA. Brian(iirc) is based in the Pac NW somewhere and took care of me.

Excellent rods, btw.

May I ask who Brain is? Did he do the warranty work?

Smile

I have a Gatti which I purchased from a member of this board. Its an excellent rod. I broke the tip and had to get a replacement from Gatti. I don't recall exactly how long it took but it wasn't bad...maybe three to four weeks. That's not exactly speedy but when you consider that they have to go to Italy, probably through custums, etc., its not unreasonable.

Thumbs up Gatti FRC 863

I got the Gatti Bug, while attending the 1998 FAOL Fish-In in the Black Hills.

I bought a blank FRC 863 ( 8 ft, 6 in; 3 wt). It is a three piece fly rod. I also bought a spare tip section (alway be prepared for the sooner or later stuff with ceiling fans).

The rod blank is a ceramic-graphite composition. It is quick tip action when casting, but with a fish on the line, the rod is fully parabolic in its bending, right to the handle grip.

Sapphire Blue, with a pearl inner sheer, when in bright sunlight.

I installed a straight grain oak French Style Reel Seat (two rings for the securing the reel), with a Lake Superior Agate reel cap.

The handle is "Burled Cork", and the thread for wrapping the guides was a light cornflower blue, that when coated with epoxy was the same color as the rod blank. All my guides and reel seat rings are "Smoked Titanium Nitride" (normally use on saltwater rigs).

The fly reel is a Teton 3 wt, with spare reel for my 4 wt line).

I love fishing with my Gatti for Trout, as well as for Giant Bluegills and Crappies.

Reason I build my own is that commercially available fly rods handles are too small of a diameter for my hand grip diameter. Causing my hand to cramp and the muscles and tendons in my arms to tighten, slowing down my casting arm, and losing the feel of my cast. ~Parnelli

PS: I wrote an article in Rod Building on how you can design a handle grip, that is the correct size and shape for your casting. And yes you "Gotta Get a Gatti"!

The question about who is Brian????

He is Brian Ahern of Gatti USA. He's in Montana but he does deal directly with Gatti, as he is the Gatti dealer. Give Brian a call.

I've built several of the Gatti blanks and I use ( as Heritage angler has said in another post) them quite a bit when I fish.

I've owned, built, borrowed and fished with Sage, Winston, G Loomis, and lot others but I fish with a Gatti. Does that say anything?????

Randy

+ Reply to Thread