+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gatti rods, any good?

Default Gatti rods, any good?

about to pull a trigger on a Sage XP from Babelas. but Mudhole has Gatti blanks on sale, and I like building my own rods, so I'm now thinking of going that route.

I've had 2 Gatti rods and I sold them both. That was about the silliest thing I've ever done. There are times in life when you do really stupid things and you wish you could forget them. For me, selling those rods was one of them. I wish I had both of them back. Gatti rods are very good rods. As the saying goes; "Gotta Get A Gatti."
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I have both of the Gatti rods Lotech Joe sold! My go-to rod is now a 5wt IM6 (from the "Lotech" collection). It's my understanding that Gatti no longer produces IM6 rods. This thing, however, is an outstanding fly fishing tool. The other Gatti is a 4wt FPL (Joe, is that what it is??) I'm not sure I have ever fished the rod and I'm not sure why not. (Note to self: Fish the 4wt Gatti!!)

Jeff

From comments on Gatti fly rods and blanks that I have read on other BBs, the concensus is that they are fine rods but if you break or damage a blank, you will have big big problems getting service from Gatti. I'm talking many many months to never.

Things might have changed so I would ask on several BBs about Gatti service before buying.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

The Gatti that Castwell let me cast is second only to the Kusse Quad, in my limited experience. Nothing else has been in the same league as that Kusse Quad, but the Gatti was excellent.

Ed

Gatti makes tremendous blanks, however, they are made in Italy and have a history of slow warrantee service due to shipping time. As far as I know, all warrantee returns have to go back to Italy. Check with Mudhole and see if that is still the policy.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffw View Post
    I have both of the Gatti rods Lotech Joe sold! My go-to rod is now a 5wt IM6 (from the "Lotech" collection). It's my understanding that Gatti no longer produces IM6 rods. This thing, however, is an outstanding fly fishing tool. The other Gatti is a 4wt FPL (Joe, is that what it is??) I'm not sure I have ever fished the rod and I'm not sure why not. (Note to self: Fish the 4wt Gatti!!)

Jeff
    I don't remember which model it is Jeff. It's blue and very fast.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Cool Very good

They really are smooth rods, due to the construction of the blanks. The wall of the blank is a uniform thickness, that allows for a rod which does not have the vibrations of the usual rod.
    But the comments are right - the owner of the company is probably brilliant, but he is a fish bum. More fish, less attention to service. I know at least one person who bought an extra tip section so we wouldn't have to deal with their service when he broke it.

thanks for the info. I was never one to worry about warrenty. they break sometimes, but its usually my fault. or in the case of the broken rod this will be replacing, the dogs fault. think I'll go with the Gatti.

I have a Gatti 5 wt. TA (fast action) model. It is light and fast just like an Italian sports car. I like it very much.

+ Reply to Thread