+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The basic dry fly

Hybrid View

Cool The basic dry fly

I thought of making this my next fly to attempt, but what should I use for dubbing? Can someone explain the dubbing process?
    Raiderhunter....Always In Search Of Water and Fish....

Raiderhunter,

The dubbing process is about the same for dry flies as for wet flies. Here's a good spot to start. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...ners/part8.php

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Hi Raiderhunter,

Dubbing is going to be hard to explain. There is more than one way to dub, but lets start out with the basic technique.

First, you need to have some way to get the dubbing to stick to the thread. This is often done with wax, but it can be done with moisture, etc. Some folks put the dubbing wax directly on the thread, others use a tiny bit of wax on a finger.

For dubbing a standard dry fly you want fine dubbing, and natural fine fur dubbing is the easiest to use. Dry fly dubbing has a minimum of guard hairs, whereas nymph dubbing is often made with fur containing a lot of guard hair.

To dub, you normally have the tail on the fly done, and the wings in place for a standard dry such as a Wulff, and have a length of thread pulled between the hook and bobbin (holding the bobbin with your left hand.) You then run the dubbing wax along the thread, leaving a TINY bit of the wax on the thread. (Dubbing wax is not ordinary paraffin wax, or anything similar, it is very sticky wax.)

Next you take a few strands of fur and touch it to the thread, sticking it to the thread. (Al Campbell says beginners use way way too much dubbing on the thread, he advises to start with 1/2 the amount you think you need, then actually use 1/2 of that, and that way you only have twice as much as you need on the thread.) Add more dubbing to the thread until you have some dubbing on most of the length that you plan to use, normally no more than 3 inches at most.

You then again pull the thread taught between the hook and bobbin tip with your left hand. Catch the thread between your thumb and forefinger (or thumb and middle finger) of you right hand and pinching the thread using moderate pressure you, move the finger and thumb back and forth causing the thread to spin between them. This will cause the fur dubbing to be wrapped somewhat tightly around the thread. You are usually advised to spin the thread only one way, and not back and forth, by spinning the thread only one way. You add more dubbing to build up the diameter of the dubbing "rope" until it is what you need.

You now should have a "rope" of fur wrapped fairly tightly around the thread. The thread and fur are now wrapped around the hook body to form the fly body of the fly.

There are other types of dubbing, but that is enough for now.

Regards,

Gandolf
    Last edited by Gandolf; 08-13-2009 at 04:58 AM.

always keep good tension on the thread as you twist the dubbing with your index finger and thumb. I refrain from licking my fingers but instead rub the index finger over a stick of dubbing wax or dip my index finger into a soda pop cap barely filled with water

A lot of very accomplished tiers have said that a "proper " dubbing job that produces a clean tappered body seems simple but is really one the hardest task to master when tying. Use very little dubbing "just get the thread dirty" as they say , and use more wraps has worked best for me. Just my 2 cents

I don't recall where I saw it, but someone said start with half as much dubbing as you feel you need........... then throw half of that away.
    It's been a good rule of thumb.

Bass_Bug Guest

Default Videos

Watching someone else do it is really the best way to learn, and many techniques just cannot be taught effectively in still pictures. Dick Talleur has several good videos for beginners. Looked for teh "Hooked On" series of Videos. Check out your local library for Fly Tying videos. Most Libraries check out videos and DVD's for free. I've seen a few that do charge though.

Go here: http://kwsu.org/Offers/FlyTying.aspx Check out season two, Episode 201 and watch the man tie a light cahill. Notice the amount of dubbing used and the technique for appling the dubbing. Note, lack of the use of wax. I don't like wax on dry flies for myself.

Here is a good video on a basic dry fly: http://www.riverhouseflyco.com/store/dvd1/example.html Notice the lack of a dubbed body. Dennis Potter is a true class act tyer and I love to watch him work whenever I can.

Rick

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I don't use wax, or moisture. There is enough already on your fingers naturally to do a fine job. Remember, when dubbing, less is more. Use about 25% of what you think you need, and you'll be about right.

Raider,
    You might want to check out Mike Holt at Maine Rotary flytying. Mike's is a subscription service, but he's an excellent teacher and the videos are clear and straightforward with selections of standard patterns and useful techniques.
    Coughlin
    Calling flyfishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.
    Paul Schullery

+ Reply to Thread