+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Books

Default Books

Anyone else here like to read?

I have always had a problem sleeping since I was a kid. Once I got older it got even worse (hence seeing me online at 5am lol)

Lately I have started buying some really good books off ebay to read at night. The past couple weeks I finished "Waldon" by Thoreau, Re-read "of Young men & fire" by Maclean (same guy that wrote river runs through it)...currently reading "White Fang" by London, and after that have a 2nd edition of "Moby Dick" to read which I got for Christmas 2 yrs ago but have not tackled yet since its so friggin HUGE lol. But will shortly.

Any other bookworms here...anyone read anything really good to suggest?

Steve

I go through reading spurts where I gorge on books. I have loved reading since I was very young. I suspect I had read about 80% of the books in my home town library by the time I went to college, And I spent a huge amount of my college time reading books in the open carrels of their library system.

I'm still reading quite a bit, but have to admit I am reading less in the last couple of years. My problem is the Roku Netflix Player. It costs $100 and, if you have a wireless network in your home, allows you to see an amazing amount of content for free if you subscribe to Netflix.

I'll admit that the times I used to pick up a book to read a few chapters are now often consumed by using my Roku Netflix player to watch a concert, TV show or something. The only good news about this is that I have reached the age where this can no longer be classified as "dumbing down". If you spend 50 or more years reading to "smarten up" it is unlikely that you will be subject to "dumbing down"

At least that's my story and I am sticking to it.

I try to read something every day...Biography through Sci Fi, I'll read just about anything. (but romance novels...)
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

I have been reading John Geirach books lately, and I like his style a lot. He's got a way of telling a story about a fly fishing trip that makes you feel like you were right there with him.
    Other authors I've read lately are Ted Nugent and Gordon MacQuarrie.

I like Harry Middleton's books. A wonderful, thoughtful writer who died way too young.

The River Why by James Duncan is another great, thoughtful, and amusing read.

Robert Traver (John Voelker) is always entertaining and amusing.

Ernest Schwiebert's tales of his fishing exploits are good reading.

Arnold Gingrich can be a fun read, in some instances.

Many others!

These books are not technical but entertaining and thoughtful to read, in my opinion.

Bob
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

The book stores in our area are full of the summer reading list books for the high school kids. I got hooked on re reading the books assigned to the kids ... it's been a year or two since I last read them ... and I'm thoroughly enjoying them!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey

If you are into murder mysteries I have a bunch to recommend.

I am somewhat hung up on murder mysteries with "outdoor themes". Some of my favorites are:

"The Nail Knot", "The Blood Knot" & "The Clinch Knot" by John Galligan (These are Fly Fishing related)

The "Max Addams Fly Fishing Mysteries" by David Leitz (There are several in this series, all fly fishing related.)

The "Loon Lake Mysteries" by Victoria Houston (Also several in the series and also fishing related.)

The "Joe Pickett" series by CJ Box (Several in the series. Based on the exploits of a game warden in Wyoming.)

"Bitch Creek" & "Gray Ghost" by William Tapply (Also fly fishing related.)

The "Walt Longmire" series by Craig Johnson (About a sheriff in Wyoming.)

"Blood Atonement" by Jim Tenuto (Fly fishing related.)

The Snowfly" by Joseph Heywood (Fly fishing related.)

Like others, I can also recommend "The River Why" by David James Duncan

Any of John Geirach's books as well.

Hope this helps.

I second the recommendation of Desert Solitaire by Abbey. A good read. If you're into history, TR-The Last Romantic is a great book about Teddy Roosevelt that I found really interesting.

Question Got "Papa"?

Since you seem to be hitting the classics....

Hemingway, Hemingway, and more Hemingway.

Sun also Rises, Green Hills of Africa, Snows of Kilamanjaro, Nick Adams Stories, True at First Light, Farewell to Arms, Islands in the Stream

Also try for Harry Middleton "On the Spine of Time"

Just my opinion...I could be wrong...and usually am, just ask my wife!

+ Reply to Thread