+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fishing the Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Hybrid View

Default Fishing the Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Hi all,

As you could see from my profile, I'm new to this board and a novice at fly-fishing. I've only been fly-fishing about a dozen times, but I enjoy it more and more every time I go. In fact, fly-fishing is about the only kind of fishing that gets a response from me.

Anyway--in mid-October, my wife and I will be making a trip to Houghton, Michigan on the Upper Peninsula. Since my wife will be busy, and I'll have some time on my hands, I'd like to take my gear and get some fishing in.

I've been surfing the web looking for information, and while I find lots of sites for guides, I don't see a lot of information listed for the Houghton area. Most of the activity seems to be oriented toward the Marquette area well to the east.

I'd like to stay within an hour's drive of Houghton because these will have to be day trips out of Houghton.

I've seen a book on Amazon by Jim Bedford (if I recall correctly) about fishing in Michigan. Will this book provide the information I need about what's in the area around Houghton and maps to public access spots?

Thanks for any information you can provide--looking forward to learning lots on this board.

Ray

Ray
    A big Welcome Aboard from Tennessee from an Ex MIchigander!!

There is a wealth of trout streams in the UP and I'm sure someone will jump in here to help.

This isnt exactly less than an hour drive but if you have the time the west branch of the Whitfish river Would be worth the trip if you can hit it at the right time.I fish it very often and do well most of the time.

Ray,

Google the Sturgeon river above the falls. It looks to be a bit over an hours drive south (South of L'Anse). I've yet to fish this river but have heard some good reports from those who have.

Enjoy da UP heh!

Otto

Hi Ray, welcome to FAOL. In October many trout streams will be closed to fishing. Check out the trout and salmon regulations for details. Those that are open may have Salmon in them. That means a heavy rod and weighted flies or split shot to get your offering close to the bottom. That far North the Salmon may done and Steelhead in the rivers. This will still call for fishing nymphs near bottom in the deeper holes. Dry fly fishing may be possible but if you find rising fish they will probably be feeding on midges
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Default Thanks for the welcome...

Appreciate the responses. I'm looking forward to learning a lot on this board.

I may not be looking in the right spots, but I haven't found a decent on line map that will show me the Sturgeon River and where the falls are. I will keep searching.

Rainbowchaser--I noted on several websites that some salmon runs and steelhead may be still going by that time of October. Now I'll show my "noviceness"...you mentioned a heavier rod. I have two rods so far, a 2 wt and a 5 wt. By heavier rod, I think you're saying something along the lines of an 8 wt?

Ray

+ Reply to Thread