Thread: 10 wt

Threaded View

Default 10 wt

Before I start I must say that I thought more than once before asking this question...I feel kinda dumb asking something like this but you guys seem to have a good head over your shoulders and I enjoy reading you're opinions.

Ok, here we go. Before I moved to Socal from AZ I thought to myself "I'm going to need a saltwater rod and reel" I asked around (use to live 15 min to Cabela's and Sportman's warehouse which I miss like crazy) and I was told that saltwater meant big fish so I should get a descent rig...well, I found somebody selling a Pflueger Trion combo, line included for a price I could afford. I didn't know much about saltwater fishing other than the water is salty, that's it.
    As soon as I got here I went to try it and it was VERY challenging standing there in front of the ocean trying to cast. Needless to say I caught nothing and then I found out that I could do just fine with a 6 or a 7 wt...these guys told me that using a 10wt for the SoCal waters was a little bit um massive.
    Now it's there in my closet collecting dust. My question to you guys is, what can I use a 10wt for here in Socal? At this point in my life I don't have the luxury of taking a fishing trip, that will happen when the kids are old enough to be my fishing buddies but that's in around three years. Right now I'm mommy's babysitter. lol
    I'm one of those people that hate to waste and I feel like I wasted my dineros ($$$) on something I can't use just because I made an uniformed decision.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Martin McFly; 08-13-2009 at 05:37 AM.