This rod was a rod that a customer dropped off to be rebuilt. He had someone else build the rod for him and normally I don't pick apart other peoples work when I see it, but in this case, it wasn't even "picking apart". It was just flat out FUGLY!

Whomever originally built this rod obviously had no clue at all as to what they were doing or how to build a rod. Let me explain....to start off with the wraps were about 3" long on each wrap, the thread was actually TIED onto the blank with a square knot to get the thread started, the finish was so thin on the top of the rod you could see the thread ridges...yet on bottom of the rod it has 1/4" drips that hardend. The thread was actually crossed over on top the blank in an "x" rather than stopping a wrap and restarting on the other side of the guide foot. There were gaps between the wraps as big as 1/8", there was epoxy smeared all over the grip. Needless to say this was by far the worst looking rod that I have ever in my life seen and if you look at the "before" pictures I'm sure you will agree.

BEFORE

So I started by stripping the rod down to the blank to get rid of all the caked on messing epoxy. Chucked it up and cleaned the grips up with some 180 grit, then 400 & 600 to get all the smeared epoxy off them and make them look new again. Then covered them with some heat shrink. rewrapped the guides with Metallic Auqamarine main color with Single turn metallic silver trim. Added inscriptions on top of the rod with a Salmon under the finish. Then on the bottom of the rod rather than just normal trim style marks for measuring marks I did a complete ruler using small equal length pieces of silver trim thread that only goes halfway around (doesnt wrap all the way over top) from from 25"-30" another at 34" and another at 40"

Seeing as how this was a rod that looked ready to throw in the trash when he brought it to me I believe this owner will enjoy this rod now.

Steve