+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vacation pics

Default Vacation pics

Just got back from some backpacking in Montana's Flathead National Forest. Figured I'd share a few pics:

South fork of the Flathead:

West Slope Cutthroat:

The view from up top:

Beautiful pictures. I also just returned from 2 weeks in Montana -- but didn't get to the Flathead.

I thought the country I saw was absolutely stunning and the fishing was outstanding.

One thing that is hard not to notice - and is even in your pictures is the die off of the pine trees. Around Helena is was particularly noticeable. If a fire gets started in that stuff -- and I think it is only a question of time -- it will be devastating.

Anyway, your pictures are great, thanks for sharing them with us. I for one will be going back to that neck of the woods next year also.

It was much more noticeable on the East side of Glacier NP. It's my understanding that a root fungus is making it's way through.

Wow, the scenery and fish are gorgeous! Makes me wish I was packing my bags...

Is it a root fungus, or is it the pine beetle? So many of the lovely trees in Wy and SD are either brown or bare from the beetle, it makes a guy sick!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

A volunteer at one of the GNP visitor centers told me root fungus. The pictures are from the Bob Marshall wilderness, around 50 or 60 miles South of Glacier. I don't recall seeing any of the brown patches of trees there. Lots of old burnt trees, but no big dying patches.

Bear resistant storage:

Debris from an avalanche blocking the trail. We had to bushwhack about 100 yards down the slope to get around it. Climbing over top was not an option as it was extremely unstable. Seeing one of these gives you an idea of the awesome power of an avalanche. Scores of 12+ diameter trees sheared off and scattered about like matchsticks.

+ Reply to Thread