+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Hills of South Dakota

Hybrid View

Default Black Hills of South Dakota

A buddy and I spent a couple of days in the Black Hills. (I know, Betty, there are no trout in the Black Hills.)

Caught a bunch of eager but small Brookies in Castle & Ditch Creeks above Deefield Lake along with a couple of nice Rainbows. At the confluence of Castle and Ditch Creeks my buddy caught the biggest Brookie I've seen caught in that stretch of water. Probably went about 12". Not a monster by any means but certainly a nice "trophy" for that particular water.

We also spent some time on Rapid Creek below Pactola Reservoir. For those of you not familiar with this water, it typically holds the largest trout in the Black Hills but they are a bugger to catch. One can walk along the first 200-300 yards of this stretch and see browns and rainbows happily feeding away, sipping bugs off the surface and snatching up nymphs. A person can spend an entire day fishing here, trying everything in the fly box and never get a fish's attention. Our theory is that this small chunk of water gets SO much pressure that these fish have seen every artificial fly ever tied. People get out of their car, walk along the water and see these fish stacked up and never get any further down steam. This makes these fish EXTREMELY difficult to catch.

Armed with this theory my buddy and I decided the thing to do would be to park the pickup and walk down stream a long ways and fish back, thus getting past the fish that everyone else hammers away at. We hiked down stream for about an hour and a half and began fishing back up stream with absolutely NO LUCK! After an hour of fishing with no results it occurred to us that we haven't even SEEN a fish. We abandoned the actual fishing for a while and simply started walking back up stream, stopping at likely looking holes and run and trying to spot some fish. Still nothing.

Now, you probably know where this is going. When we got back to the stretch of stream we were trying to avoid in the first place I caught 2 of the nicest Browns I've ever caught...

200 YARDS FROM THE PICKUP WE LEFT 4 HOUR EARLIER!!!

All-in-all a very nice trip!

Is that not just the kewlest thing?!? Where the two streams meet up is usually really good, if you're looking for brookies and rainbows and browns instead of trouts! We didn't go too far south on Ditch Creek this time (May) as there had been cougar sightings the day before our being there.

I think a lot of people think that area gets pounded ... but we've just not seen that. We've seen them look, and then go down stream, or over to the lake. I love it!!!!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    Is that not just the kewlest thing?!? Where the two streams meet up is usually really good, if you're looking for brookies and rainbows and browns instead of trouts! <snip> I love it!!!!!

Betty, one of the days Tullahoma's own Wandering Jack is going to pay a visit to the Black Hills and come back with pictures. Your secret is out, Betty.

Thar's TROUTS in them thar hills!!!

There are, of course, no fish in Tennessee...

Ed

Default no fish

Ain't no fish in PA, either.
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Ain't no fish in PA, either.
    Bruce

You should give the Little Juniata a try near Tyrone and Huntingdon. Fished the trophy trout section behind Baree a few weeks ago and prob pulled 50-60
    trout out of the stream in 2 days. Although I was flinging a minnow rig.

Quote Originally Posted by EdD View Post
    Betty, one of the days Tullahoma's own Wandering Jack is going to pay a visit to the Black Hills and come back with pictures. Your secret is out, Betty.

Thar's TROUTS in them thar hills!!!

There are, of course, no fish in Tennessee...

Ed
    No, no, no, no ... t'ain't no trouts!! Only brookies, rainbows, and browns!!

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    No, no, no, no ... t'ain't no trouts!! Only brookies, rainbows, and browns!!
    Trouts AND Char(s)!!! Would a confirmed, brookie angler sort of woman be a charwoman?
    <running and ducking>

Ed
    Last edited by EdD; 08-11-2009 at 10:49 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Black Hills Reduex

Me too, but a whole different trip.... Got back Monday at 1 AM after a twelve hour continuous drive from the Canyons south of Spearfish. Lots of spooky fish up high above the main drag by the Timons Campsite. Couldn't get the little buggers in the beaver dammed stream to eat anything. Constant thunderstorms made waving a wet stick kind of scary and consequently spent a lot of tent time and not much water time. Had the Great White Dope along, Ollie the Yellow Lab, and I was more like "sleeps with dogs" rather than "dances with wolves." Really pretty country up there, but hard to fish the little holes surrounded with Alder. Betty, if you have any sure fire tricks for extracting Brookies from those beaver ponds I'd sure like to hear them...

Corvus...
    If there are no dogs in heaven, I want to go where they go."

Will Rogers

Blog Entries

Hey there Betty Darlin', are you gonna start casting to brookies with a broom?

Ed, a troublemaker

And chance ruining my only form of transportation??? I don't think so!!!

+ Reply to Thread