+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FEB (Furled Extended Body) Hopper - Fly of the Week - August 10, 2009

makes sense. I will experiment a bit with a few more I am tying tonight. Personally I like using Elk when possibly ... plus I have a whole bunch of it now so gonna tie some with deer and some with Elk

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Default furled extended bodies

How do you get the furl (twist) to stay twisted? I have been experimenting with various chenilles. Maybe that is the wrong material and it won't "remember" the twist. This technique looks like a good one for all kinds of flies. I am trying to develop a good coffin fly pattern and this looks like a good way to make one.

I don't think you'll get chenille to furl mainly due to the core in it ... I tried Most yarns, as discussed here, will usually furl nicely.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Thumbs up I will Post Pixes

When I get home tonight I'm going take a few photos of the F.E.B.s I tied for out West. I love writing that: "Out West." LOL! It makes me feel like a trout bum that's fished all over the world. I tied a few with tan foam and colored the front tag of the hopper (pink), where the final cut of the foam is made, for visual purposes. I furled tan, brown and creme antron for the body and tied on yellow rubber legs. Since I used three different colors of antron I pared each of the hanks about in half so the body wouldn't be too large. Tan seemed to work the best out there for me, but I also did okay with yellow foam. I'm going to look for wild mushrooms tonight. If I don't post photos tonight that means I'm cleaning mushrooms.

+ Reply to Thread