Not too sure where to post this so I'll just set it here .
We had made plans to go up to Nova Scotia this summer.
Well if you want to give God a laugh tell him "your plans".
Trailer for our bikes failed , then after discovering 1 problem was going to the parts store to get a part and the truck decided to start coughing (fuel injected trucks are not supposed to cough) . That was the end . I pulled the plug on the trip ( these were the final , not the only straws) and the bride has been walking around like a bear with a boil on its butt , that is how disappointed she is .
ANYWAY, we took some advice from "Bluegill 222" and headed up to Iowa . Highland Iowa more specifically and stayed at "Bear Creek Cabins" and had a really good time. Don't expect a lot of amenities. Count on a very cute little log cabin that is CLEAN and COMFORTABLE . Go to the web site for more info. I met with the owner and he's a bit like me about the internet . He doesn't exactly know how it works , he just knows its there and that it does work. So he got some folks to make a web site for him and basically his only real instructions to them was to "Not be deceitful, show the place like it really is ". I am here to testify , the place is the real deal. Heck , it still smells woodsy in there .
The fishing there is small stream , for me a bit of a casting challenge at times as some of the stream has overhangs ,debris in the stream , tight spots galore. In short , a great place to fish . Got lots of good healthy fish there , not into the hundreds per day but still very respectable numbers and like I alluded to last sentence , the fish were very healthy. Not the standard been pounded to a frazzle fish that a lot of streams have . Got caught a bit shy on flies though. Went prospecting and the only thing that the fish seemed to want were bead head hares ear in a # 16 and a # 16 gold ribbed hares ear ( not the wire ribbing either , oh no , had to be the oval gold ribbing , fussy little rascals) .
Remember the part about casting challenge ?
Many of my bugs ended up in the trees ( Keepest thy backast upeth? ) so ended up with one GRHE to work with .
I am not qualified for to enter a one fly competition.
I did however make that little fly last for probably the last ten fish before it was unrecognizable. .
So ended my day on Bear creek in Iowa .