+ Reply to Thread

Thread: fungus?

Hybrid View

Default fungus?

I fished yesterday with limited success for Smallmouth but the night wasn't totally wasted. I spotted a nice sulfur shelf mushroom that contributed to lunch today with enough left over to freeze for my next batch of chicken soup. Does any one else keep their eyes open for mushrooms while fishing?
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Yes I do. I have made several meals from Boletes this year as well as morels. I also gather shaggy manes later in the year. I limit my gathering to those three species because I am sure tha I can ID them and not make an error and eat something that could prove disasterous.

Tim

Rainbowchaser, I never have, but my dad always put fungus as a priority over anything else he was doing. I know I've related this before, but it bears repeating due to your query: once, while bowhunting Utah Mule deer, my father and I were still hunting through some pine stands and I noticed he kept stopping now and again and looking down and then picking something up. As I got closer to him I realized he was picking mushrooms and we ended up having them with our supper that evening. After supper a fellow hunter asked my dad how he knew which shrooms were poisonous or not and my father replied that if he didn't wake up the next morning, he ate the wrong ones - the look on this fellows face was absolutely priceless, but I also went to bed with a bit of a concern...Yup, I woke up and I'm still here!

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

LOL, Kelly!

My Dad would occasionally gather some mushrooms in a canyon where he occasionally worked. And we are still alive, too.
    Anymore, it seems the places I fish are too high, or too dry for any 'srooms. Best I see are on the lawn sometimes. But I'm not going to eat those! I pee out there occasionally.
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

Cold Guest

We have a few edible mushrooms in our area, but its no secret that the vast majority of mushrooms are no god for eating, and in fact some are deadly, so i rarely take them. Once when I was a little kid, the field across form our house was covered in little white mushrooms that were good to eat...two years in a row. Never happened before or since, but those years it was nice. Every now and then we'll come across a sheeps-head mushroom in the fall and take it, making sure to leave a bit so itll grow back next year.

There's morels in my area too, but I've never seen one in my travels.

As a boy scout, I learned that there's plenty of good stuff to eat out there without having to resort to guessing if a mushroom is good.

Yesterday while I was out I collected enough oysters and chanterelles to freeze a bunch even after a wild mushroom risotto dinner.
    Today....King Bolete.... my absolute favorite
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I don't know enough about them to trust myself eating them, but the variety and uniqueness of them as a lifeform make me pause every time I see them. If I remember correctly, the largest living organism on the planet is a fungus.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

+ Reply to Thread