+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can see huge fish, just can't catch them

Default Can see huge fish, just can't catch them

I'm a little frustrated and need some help from my friends. I have found a couple of spots with huge fish in them. Fish larger than I have ever taken in the last three years. I make my first cast, the fish react and rush to the fly only to hesitate and not take the fly or attempt a strike. I know that big boys or most likely girls in this example weren't raised by fools, so they are not stupid.

Many of these presentations are from bridges where I can see the fish easily, BUT the fish probably see me too. Short of dunkin' vorms and secrets that you would like to share in fooling this big models in the picture window?

I am thinking of chasing them from in the water, no secret there to lower my profile. I am considering evenings, late nights or just damn early and if you had to drive a couple of hours to do it what time would you suggest? Since the light will be lower, thinking of a much larger than normal fly to cause a good silhouette.

Open to ideas from Mr. Frustrated.

Sorry I found myself laughing as I read your title line. I think, if we're honest, we could all admit to this "condition" at one time or another!! In my book ... for sure, try to get down to water level. I'll stop here and let others add to it ....
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

Big fish that congregate do so because there is a large natural source of food there, they don't need your fly.

try throwing a big streamer and stripping it as fast as you can through the middle of them, one of them might just grab it out of instinct with out taking the time to think.

Good luck this may haunt you for a while.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Betty, I laugh at myself when I posted the question that said, OK - I can't figure it out on my own and need some help.

Will try to super size fly.

I've listened to Kelly Galloup's presentation on trophy trout many times at this link and have seen him in person. Getting ready for dynamite, shinners or worms if I can't figure this out and I don't like either option.

http://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/sp...elly/kelly.cfm

Damn it, I am a fly fisherman and I will catch them on this goofy long stick.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Unhappy Get off the bridge!

Short of jumping, get off the bridge as quickly as possible. Slowly and carefully find a casting position where you remain hidden. As soon as big fish see you, you have decreased your chances of a catch by 90%. They didn't get big by being stupid. I like morning and evenings for most species but don't let the time of day stop you from fishing. I've never caught a fish with my fly in the hook holder. Good luck 8T

Try it at night
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Remember big fish didn't get big by getting caught. Some animal, including fish and humans, have that extra sense that puts them a notch above the rest. To quote the nationally known bass fisherman Jimmy Houston "The greatest danger keeping little fish from becoming big fish is hot grease."
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

When nothing else works....Fred Bridge's Infamous Pink Worm is the ticket. See it here: http://www.flytyingworld.com/PagesF/...%20Pink%20Worm

Cold Guest

Short of jumping, get off the bridge as quickly as possible.
    You might be on to something there, though. The osprey has a valuable lesson to teach us about fishing... Just be sure to scream, "Death from above!!!" before diving form the bridge at your quarry.

Something that's helped me catch a few of my larger trout, aside from the EXCELLENT suggestions here (low-light conditions, bigger flies, stealthy approach), is to observe for a while without making any attempt to catch them. If they're congregating near a bridge, its a safe bet that they see ALOT of offerings from other anglers, so the reason they're still around is because they've learned that if it isnt totally natural, just play it safe and ignore it. That said, you might find they're only taking tiny nymphs, scuds, or small aquatic worms. They might be sipping midges if they're highly abundant.

More likely, there's some baitfish and/or crawfish that they have access to in that spot.

Also, I've found that presenting "stupid prey" is not as effective as presenting "unobservant prey". What I mean by this is that no baitfish or crawfish is going to swim toward a group of large trout. They just dont. What they might do is drift a little too close without realizing it. And when they do, they're quick to correct the situation, especially if theyre spotted.

To you, the angler, this means casting a crawfish pattern well upstream and letting it drift, slowly, possibly even slower than a dead drift if the current is swift. Let it get near, but not in the middle of the group of large fish, then abruptly tighten the line and strip away at varying speeds. I've caught several nice trout like this. Unless they seem actively turned off by this, keep at it: sometimes they'll ignore the same presentationten times, then on that eleventh cast they hit it like it owes them money.

Also...not to second guess you by any means...BUT...are you sure theyre trout? I say this because I'll admit I've spent a long time casting to "trout" flashing beneath the surface that turned out to be suckers. Not that a sucker wont put up a great fight, but often they're impossible to catch, and many anglers would rather not catch them, regardless of size.

+ Reply to Thread