+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Next Build

Question Next Build

Getting ready to order a blank for my next rod. My fishing generally involves a medium fast 7'6" for 3 wt for smaller flies, water, and wind, and a medium fast 9' for 5 wt for larger flies, water, and wind. For the size of the fish I catch, a 3 wt has plenty of backbone, so that is not really a factor. On the occasions that I want to use tandems of large weighted stonefly nymphs, I jump up to a fast action 9' for 7 wt.

My dilema is this. The blanks I am looking at come in medium or medium fast actions in lengths up to 8'6" for weights 3/4 and 4/5 and in medium action for lengths up to 8'6" in weight 5/6. I'm wondering whether a medium fast 7'6" for 3/4 or a medium action 8' for 4/5 would be more flexible ( no pun intended ) for using three line weights ( 3, 4, and 5 ) on a single rod ??

It seems to me that there would be very little difference in how either blank would respond to the different lines - i.e. medium fast on the 3 wt and just a tad slower on the 4 wt, and somewhat slower, more like bamboo medium for the 5 wt.

Just wondering what you all might think about trying to line these blanks across three line weights and which blank you would probably choose for that purpose ???

If the blank I choose works out as intended, I will probably get an 8'6" for 5/6 for my big nymph rigs since casting distance is not really a factor in that kind of fishing. The fast action 9' for 7 wt will cast those rigs a long way with the right timing and stroke, but I can cover the same water with shorter drifts and probably, overall, less effort and concentration.

Appreciate any insight and comments.

Thanks much in advance.

John
    The fish are always right.

It seems to me you may be at cross purposes here. In general, any given rod will cast 1 line wgt above or below its designated class without much difficulty

Let's assume a medium fast 4 wgt rod with 40 ft of line in the air. this rod will cast (feel) the same throwing the same actual weight of line in the air no matter what the size designation. i.e. about 32 feet of 5 wgt line or 46 feet of 3 wgt. line. will feel the same.

Now if the purpose of using a 3 wgt line is to fish smaller water closer in then a 4 wgt rod with a 3 wgt line will not load sufficiently in close to cast well. Conversely putting a 5 wgt line on the 4 wgt rod will shorten the distance it will cast well before the rod feels overloaded. This seems to be just the opposite of what you would want in an all purpose rod.

No matter which action you choose, fast, medium fast, medium the above relationship will be true. BTW just what do these action descriptions really mean?

Just my thoughts.
    Shaky;

I'd go with the 4/5 blank. But then again, rod builders are using the 4/5w designation as a starting point. I've found most rods will throw 3 line weights. A lot also depends on the lines being used (brand wise).

If in doubt, get both blanks.
    I just got Joni and I some T.L. Johnson Synergy blanks. I got a 8' 5w for me and a 4/5 7'6" for her. Glass rods with graphite in the butt section. Faster than Diamondglas but slower than a WT.
    Last edited by Mojo; 08-07-2009 at 02:03 AM.

Question Numbers Game ??

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    ...If in doubt, get both blanks.....
    Thanks, Alan, like I really needed that !!

Actually, I am leaning toward a medium fast 7'6" for 3/4 AND an 8' for 5/6 as the only solution to the dilema, much for the reasons given by Shaky - the cross purposes thing.

Maybe I'll start with the 3/4 and see how it handles the 5 and be guided accordingly. The reel advantage of the 5/6 is to cover the fishing now done with my 7.

( What is this, anyway, a numbers game ?? )

Still looking for more suggestions or comments. Think of it from this point of view - if you are NOT a toys person or equipment junkie ( and please don't take that negatively if you are - it just happens that I'm not ), how would you approach limiting your arsenal for the kind of fishing I've described to ONE rod ??

John
    The fish are always right.

John,
    My casting stroke is going to be different than yours so take this with a grain of salt. If I had the where-with-all, I would look seriously at fiberglass. Specifically McFarland blanks. I like the looks of the Spruce Creek, Stream Grade blanks in a 7 1/2'-3 piece-4 weight. I've re-discovered that fiberglass is a very forgiving and very smooth casting tool. Whatever you decide, let us know. OK?

http://www.mcfarlandrods.com/mcfarla...uce_Stream.asp
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I'm going to agree with Lotech on this one! Go fiberglass!! I think Ron still has a few of the Diamond Glass blanks left ( if I haven't bought all of them yet!! ), and the McFarlands are WONDERFUL!! Prices for these blanks are good too!! I found on our as trip, the Diamond Glass to be just the ticket for the small streams (to mid-size ... but mine is only 6') ... moderately moderate, with beautiful response, and a gentle presentation.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Default Yes, go glass young man, go glass...

John, have you tried or do you have an old Fenwick brown flyrod in say a 7'6" or 7'8" 6 wt? One of those would prolly cast everything you've got in
    your flyline locker !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread