+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropper fishing

Default Dropper fishing

Hello all,

When I fish I usually go with just a dry fly, as that is the type of pattern I learned to fish with. However, for the past few years (since I started reading about fishing more) I keep reading about how fishing a dropper rig is a great way to catch more fish. I have never been good at fishing nymphs because I can never detect a strike, so I figured this dropper rig is something I should try. So, for the past year or so I have been using dropper rigs, with no success in the fisrt fifteen minutes of use except in catching trees. At that point I generally switch to only a dry on the line.

Well, when I was fishing this weekend, I had my dropper rig on the line (stimulator with a bead head prince) and was fishing a good looking plunge pool when the stimulator shoots underwater and I feel a decent fish on the line. It seemed the tatcic had finally worked for me. However, as I reached down to land the fish, it shook the line (barbless hooks for me). Someday, I will land a fish on a dropper, just not yet.

Probably due to my casting, but droppers always seem to give me problems. The potential advantage of having two flies in the water is more than offset by the amount of time I have no flies in the water as I untangle stuff. I admire your persistance.

The theory behind it is that the dropper gives you a second chance. Many times the fish come up to look at your dry and may not like it for some reason. As they pass on that and see another morsel so close, they might just go for that instead.

I plan to use this method most of the time on the Green River in Utah next week as we float down the river in my drift boat. I will still likely keep a rod rigged for 100% nymphing, but the dry-dropper combo is my current plan.

If you are having trouble with tangles using this method, it is likely you are rushing your back cast too much. Also try shortening the dropper to 18" or so if you are getting tangled frequently with more line.
    "Engineers don't idle well."

I fish almost exclusively with droppers - but usually with all flies being nymphs or egg patterns. I use a strike indicator to detect strikes. Yesterday I had good success fishing a Y2K about 2 feet below a strike indicator and a hairs ear nymph (HE) about 15 inches below and a Minnie Midge (MM) about 15 inches after the HE. I tie the droppers to the bend in the hook using a Davy Knot (I highly recommend this knot for tying the droppers and the fly to tippet). Almost all of the fish were caught on the MM which is nothing more than a size 16 curved hook, bead head and gray dubbing from my cat Minnie.

I have had many times of losing the whole rig after one or two casts and know how frustrating it can be, but droppers really do work. My best advice is to really get your knot tying down so it isn't as big a deal when you have to re-rig.

JR

I love fishing droppers in the mountains.

Wink Tandem Rigs !!!

Charlie Meck has written a great book on fishing tandem rigs. Many different ways to connect (all types of great knots too). Really worth having in your library if you do fish tandems like dry dropper !!!

I use them, but, as has been noted, a sloppy cast can create a gawdawful mess. Another thing to remember when a fish takes the dropper is that the top fly is there. I learned that the hard way sliding my hand down the line to reach the fish on the bottom hook.

I keep a number of pre-tied droppers in my vest. I tie an improved clinch in a piece of tippet but don't tighten it all the way down. That way I can just slip the loop over the top hook's bend and then tighten it. I use a small bit of smooth material secured so it won't move on which to tie the clinch knots.

Quote Originally Posted by CO_Flyfisher View Post
    If you are having trouble with tangles using this method, it is likely you are rushing your back cast too much. Also try shortening the dropper to 18" or so if you are getting tangled frequently with more line.
    Good advice.

I don't use a dropper rig very often, but when I do, I like to clinch the dropper to the hook bend of the dry. This works well for me. Approx. 18" is a good length in most waters.

bobbyg
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

[QUOTE=Colston Newton;310516] Another thing to remember when a fish takes the dropper is that the top fly is there. I learned that the hard way sliding my hand down the line to reach the fish on the bottom hook.

QUOTE]

Another bit of excellent advice!

Bob
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

I rarely go Dry/Nymph as I find that it ruins the cant of my dry. However, dry/emerger, dry/dry, and nymph/nymph are all in my repertoire.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Hello all,

I have never been good at fishing nymphs because I can never detect a strike, so I figured this dropper rig is something I should try.
    If I may, I think the absolutely best method to learn how to recognize a strike is to fish often for bluegills.

Put a small, roll-on, foam indicator 18" or so above a beadhead and have at it.

+ Reply to Thread