My question / post relates to "over-playing a fish". In a nut shell, I'd like to know how that is defined, or what constitutes "over playing"? How does one know that they are over-playing a fish?

Let me go on record as stating that I always prefer to "reel" in a fish as quickly as I can, because I am ALWAYS worried that it will "get away". This is an "instinctive" response regardless of the size of the fish, and I never think about it. It just happens every time I have a fish on.

But recently (and again) I have been told (perhaps "accused" is a better word) that using a small light rod is killing fish by over-playing them. And let me be clear here! This was stated, even though every fish I caught while this individual and myself were "together", I "stripped" directly in (as always), and released the hook without ever taking the fish out of the water (small mouth bass and sunfish). I didn't "play" the fish at all, and certainly not any more than he did with his #6. So I'd like to hear from those of you out there with some knowledge.

I readily admit that I have a distinct bias towards small, light, tackle, and have never owned a fly rod heavier than a #4. (I learned on and still use a 3 weight. See: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/review/061305.php) But I am honestly trying to "get the facts", and be a conscientious angler and environmentalist. If I need to rethink my fly fishing, I'm ready to do so. But not just for "old wives tales" or to step in line with "someone's opinion". I'd like a little more "substance" than that. (Right now the Hardy Glass "Aln" (5'-0" 2 weight) is really calling my name.) But in an effort to see beyond my limited horizon and bias, and because I am looking to substantiate legitimate "claims" one way or another, I'm posting here (and elsewhere).

I have done a fair amount of research of my own into catch and release "best practices" over the years, and read many of the studies done (e.g. Beggs et al., 1980; Gustaveson et al., 1991; Tufts et al., 1991; Ferguson and Tufts, 1992; Cooke et al., 2003a; etc.). I believe I have a pretty good understanding of the physiological implications in playing a fish, and its subsequent handling and release.

But in all of these studies, and in all of the recommendations I have read / seen I haven't seen any specific "signs of stress" identified for the angler to look for, or any other "definition" to enlighten myself in knowing if a fish has been "over-played". My rule has always been: "If the fish can swim away with some "spunk", it's okay to let it go. Otherwise, work to revive it further."

It might be noted that in the above mentioned studies, the "playing" was also vastly different. For example, in the Ferguson and Tufts (1992) study, the trout were chased (played) for 10 minutes. While in the Cooke study (2005) they were chased for 30 seconds. Truth be told, I don't believe I have ever "played" a fish for even the 30 seconds. I just haven't hooked into anything that was that difficult to get in (even with the #3). And if I think about it, thirty seconds is really a deceptively long time when it comes to trout fishing.

Again, I am bias and have very limited experience, and readily recognize this, so feel free to "enlighten" me.

Thanks for any helpful input you might have. And ultimately I'll look to the fish for my answer. I just hope someone can tell me what to look for.

---David