+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scientific Anglers 8wt.

Default Scientific Anglers 8wt.

Hey Everyone, I was thinking about buying a Scientific Anglers rod and reel. A 2-piece 8wt, ultra series. And a Concept 2 58 reel with compression disc drag. The setup is economical, but it's what I can afford. I understand that to most of you, scientific anglers rods will be very slow, but, does anyone have anything good (or bad) to say about SA's rods or reels?
    Thanks
    -Fly_Fisher_12

[This message has been edited by Fly_Fisher_12 (edited 26 February 2005).]

I can't speak for the 8 weight, but I've cast the lighter rod; can't remember whether it was a 5 or 6, and I was surprised. It was quite good and not slow.

I have a number of SA reels simply because they do what they're supposed to do without whining or breaking. If it fits your pocket book, don't be afraid for quality issues.

Keith

I own the 6wt 2pc. rod Got if for almost nothing without the rest of the components in the kit. The cosmetics and components aren't the greatest but appearance does cast line and fight fish. It not my favorite rod but it often finds itself in the boat and rigged up next to my more expensive and preferred Sage models. I find the rod pleasant to cast and fish. Nothing particularly stands out be but I found no glaring weaknesses either.

The reel is adequate for most freshwater fishing and some light saltwater of the type we do in the southern california bays and surf.

The S.A. packages availabe currently at Sierra Trading Post are pretty good deals considering they include rod, reel, line, backing and rod/reel case.

The SA rods and reels are not junk! I don't believe Scientific Anglers makes/sells anything which does not do the job it is intended to do, and do it well.

The truth be known, one of my favorite rods of all time was a Scientific Anglers System 4 rod....anyone still have one? I believe those rods were built by Fisher.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

I think the S.A. kits are kind of a sleeper product. Good gear, good value, but they don't get a much attention.

I fish S/A rods in both 6wt. and 8wt.
    I have used the 8wts. for steelhead and
    bass for a few years.
    I use the 6wt on trout , they are good rods

Wet
    Working Trout Bum

I was very surprised at how well the S.A. rods cast. As someone said a real sleeper.

Not to sound bias or anything, but I carry the SA line in my shop. I have sold about 50 of their Ultra combo outfits last year and have never had a complaint. They are a top notch starter outfit that you can grow into, but not out of and the perfect backup for someone on a budget.

I highly recommend them.

------------------
    "My fondest memories and friends will be forever bound to my heart, with the waters I have fished." D.G. 1992

www.wolfmountainfly.com

The rod your looking at is so much better than anything you could buy for any price 30 years ago. with that said, any one of us could if we realy wanted to, and it was realy important to us, save and buy a 1000.00 rod. I don't and will never buy the story (it is all I can afford) aint you worth the best? Think about that. Is fly fishing your true love. The best is less than 4 nights on town. ONE NIGHT FOR SOME!

Rich

I picked up a combination S/A outfit here awhile back (3 years ago?) - a 9'/ 9wt with a full wells grip and fighting butt, and I'm real impresssed and happy with the rod's performance. Now, the label on the packaging said it is a fast action rod and by my experience with it, it is indeed just that.

I bought the rod primarily for salt water use and for that application I use the S/A graphite reel that was included along with the 3-M (Supreme Ultra3) WF-9-F line. A great performer with this set-up. Also use the rod for a couple of costal rivers and lakes in our area, for fresh water large/m bass and strippers, where casting distance is not as important - here I use an aluminum reel with a WF-8-F line. Again, a great performer.

For what this outfit cost and the performance that it provides, I'm well pleased. I love finding a real bargin!

Dale

+ Reply to Thread