+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to fly fishing, what to use, where to fish?

Hybrid View

Default new to fly fishing, what to use, where to fish?

hello everybody, wondering on the net and found this site. great site. but i just started fly fishing for about 3 weeks now, maybe fly fish twice a week. im really liking it it's really fun. but here is where im stuck, what fly do i use and where to use the fly? i'v been watching youtube and they said nymphs are for where shallow and rocky waters is at. dry for slow waters and such. but is that true, and what kind of fly works best for places in or near fresno.
    and where is a good river, creek or stream to fish at near fresno if you fish at california before?

i dont really know what to really use, so i put what i think they might bite. but i seen some gulps, pull the line, nothing.....

any kind of advice will help,
    still new to the sport.

Hey, A big welcome form Tennessee Here.

I moved down here from Michigan and had to learn a whole new style of flyfishing myself. Learning is half the fun! I'm sure you'll get your answers on this site.

Tight Lines

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs up Welcome from UpState South Carolina

Hi Fresno,

Welcome to the best fly fishing site on the internet. Lots of good information and lots of good people. Let us hear from you often. For really good local information and assistence, I would try to find a local fly shop and start hanging around there. I would purchase a couple of size #16-18 Adams parachutes, a couple of Gold-Ribbed Hare's Ear Nymphs size 16 and a couple of Olive or Blacks Wooly Buggers (size #8-10). Start flinging those flies around and see when and where they work. Check your library or bookstore for some of the beginner books on fly fishing. As I said above, there lots of good information here too. Welcome to the group. Please keep us posted on you successes. 8T

Talking Newbie

Look up fly shops in California and visit one. They might even have classes. Also check for adult ed classes at local colleges or comm colleges. It sure helped me out having some sort of mentoring program to attend. Then you will get severly "hooked" and get into fly tying. The you are a lost cause to anyone around you!!
    Mike
    Bend,OR

Fresno, Hi and welcome to FAOL from So Cal. I was just in your neck of the woods Wednesday. I fished the Eastern Sierras around Lee Vining over the weekend then visited Yosemite. You have a ton of fine creeks and rivers there in the foothills above you. There also should be some fly shops in the area that will direct you as to what to use, where to go and how to do it. Also joining a fly fishing club locally can be a boost to your experience there. Good luck and best regards. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Welcome to the sport and to the site. Here's a Fresno fly fishing club,
    http://www.fresnoflyfishers.org/ I'll bet you can find plenty of folks happ[y to help you there.

Also, Google Visalia fly shop, probably the closest to you. Fly shops are great places to learn what flies the fish are taking now. Ask one of the folks in the fly shop to recommend a couple of patterns for you, then buy them. Write down the fly pattern's name, size and time of year. Over time, you will learn what flies work best in your waters by month.

Google can be a powerful tool in learning about the waters near you and what patterns are working. You can also pick up a lot of instruction on the net.

And this is a good place to ask questions., The policy here has always been that there are no dumb questions and folks are happy to answer you. You'll probabgly get the best help, though, if you first do a Google search to get the basic info, and come here with your questions if the info you seek wasn't there or if you need some clarification on it.

Thumbs up Welcome to the dark side of fishing........

Welcome to the forum, Fly Fishing is a s easy as you make it. A lot of people force it and find that they now have problems, if you take a bit at a time and remember to enjoy it as you go you wil be surprized at just how easy this sport can be.

thanks Fly Anglers, i will check out some of the fly shops and test out some of the flies that was post above. but i didn't know flies can change from month to month as to catching a fish. so far i have about 20 dry flies, two black wooley bugger, one white wooley bugger, still dont know how to use the wooley bugger. it doesn't work like dry flies. can't cast it, the line dont really want to go with it. or is that fly more of a let and drag with the water then throw it back up and let it ride the water down again? and some bees a prince nymph little here and there. but man i am really loving it. it's so relaxing and just an all around fun. im always learning. getting better at casting. but i will do more reading on this site, it's very interesting and has alot of info that i need. thanks again fly anglers.

very helpfull.

i'll post some pics and stuff when i catch fish and share with you all.

Wink

I would like to welcome you to the art of fly fishing,it's like nothing else you ever done. I want to express to you to take the advice of what they tell you here. The people here will not give you information you don't need. I myself just got back into fly fishing and the help on this site is the best I could of hope for. It takes time to learn what to use when to use it, color,shape, size, but over time it will come to you. JUST DON'T GIVE UP! You have alot of help here, and a fly shop in your area can help with alot too. You may consider lessons also. Im' not from your area, but there are skilled fly fishermen that will help. You may try a fly fishing club. Once again Welcome and I look forward to the pic's. God Bless and Good Luck! There is always two things on my mind everyday one is: If TVA has the water right for wading and the other is how fast I can get to the river.

Smile Greetings

Hello Fresno -

And welcome from SE Idaho.

If you enjoy reading hardcover books, the two to start with are Dave Hughes' "Reading the Water" and Dave Whitlock's "Guide to Aquatic Trout Food : Second Edition." Get through these books and you'll know enough to fish moving water for trout just about anywhere.

Then all you have to do is learn about gear, learn how to cast, start tying your own flies, furling your own leaders, and building your own rods. Like I said - Welcome.

John
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread